Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my hard drive died !

• Please log in to reply

Ahmed jama

Ahmed jama

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
jokes over
what happned was my computer which is xp profesinal stopped working
i dont have a cd to reformat my hard drive
system info

windows xp professional
2002 version
SP2
HP COMPAQ D350 SFF
so when this happned i restared my computer
i checked the manual and it says
if you need to reformat my HD (hard drive) press F8
SO I DID AND WINDOWS ADVANCE OPTION CAME UP
help !!!!!!

Edited by Ahmed jama, 03 June 2010 - 04:31 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
With virtually no information it is impossible to help.

What type of computer? laptop or desktop?
What is the OS?
Is it a Dell, Compaq, HP, home built, etc?
What problem are you having? Please be specific.

i even tried to go on safe modde but BDOS COMES EVEN IF I START COMPUTER NORMALLY

This makes no sense to me.
I assume you mean you get a bios/cmos screen at boot up. This is normal. What happens after that?
Are there any error codes or messages?

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Something in your computer has shorted out. Now if it is the hard drive you should be able to remove it and start the computer and it should say there is a disk error. If not then just unplug one thing to a time exept the RAM and CPU and Power supply untill things start to work. It should say there is no disk or a disk error or something . Now if it's the power supply to find out just go to the store or online and buy yourself another ATX 400 watt or more power supply. 400 watt power supplies will support newer computers to so if it's fried you can use it in your next computer. OK now make sure that new power supply has any extra cords on it like if your motherboard has 4 wires just going to the motherboard seperate from the big group of wires then get that kind. If you get a new computer you will probably need that kind anyway. If it has SATA hard drives or other drives make sure you have the connectors for them. Hook the new power supply up in place of the old one and turn it on. If you still have the problem. save the old hard drive and CD DVD drives you want and the case and new power supply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In advanced options there should be something named Recovery and will be worded like
Destructive
Non Destructive
Hard Drive Recovery
System Recovery

All of these besides Non Destructive should most likely format the system and reinstall everything back to when the system was brand new.
This does mean you will lose any data that is not backed up so be aware of this. If there is data you need to save let us know and we will assist you with a linux live cd instructions to retrieve your data.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 June 2010 - 09:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It was just suggested to me also to have you run the following.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 June 2010 - 10:16 AM.

Ahmed jama

Ahmed jama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ive got my hard drive back but it was hard and i nearly died when i was about to remove the hard drive
close case !!
:D ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you share the steps you took to resolve the issue and if any known reason for the issue. It could help someone with the same issue later.
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)