Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't boot from cd

• Please log in to reply

mrbeast

mrbeast

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I uninstalled yahoo messenger because I couldnt log in. When I rebooted I got stop c0000218 (registry file failure) registry cant load hive (file) \systemroot\system32\config\software or its log or alternative. It is corrupt, absent or not writeable.
Now all the different posts I have read say use your windows xp disc. The problem with that is I cant get the start from cd screen to come up it just goes straight to start from safe mode, last good config and so on.
My bios shows that the cd player is there and the little green light comes on and flashes like it is working but... as i stated above will not give me the touch any key to boot from cd.

I am using windows xp home edition OEM version on a desk top. I am on my laptop trying to get help and it is using windows 7.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you changed the boot sequence in the bios to boot from CD?
Have you saved that configuration? Usually F10 on exit.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
yes i have set it up in bios to boot from cd but when the black screen comes up there is only a blinking cursor it does not say press any key to boot from cd. I am thinking on changing the cd. I can't give you alot of info on the desk top because it was built for me by a friend. I am pretty sure it is a asus motherboard.

Edited by mrbeast, 02 June 2010 - 06:42 PM.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Got it working