Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't attach files on YAHOO/Hotmail any more ! I tried every

• Please log in to reply

kony

kony

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,

i'm running windows 7 with a HP PAVILION DV6-1330 laptop bought last year...i have a fair internet connexion (3G)

I am absolutely desperate cause since 4 days i cannot attach any file to my emails wether it is under yahoo mail or hotmail !!! Nothing new i have installed lately that could explain this problem

Im accessing those usual mail platforms through the webmail adress (yahoo.com and hotmail.com) and NOT through Windows Live Mail which i don't like much by the way (i don't use Outlook neither)

i can download and read attachements people send me but when it comes for me to attach documents in my emails, it loads forever and actually never attach anything. I have to say i can send emails without attachments though

Also the documents i tried to send are very light photos or word documents (under 100 or 200 ko usually) so size is not an issue here

i went through so many help forums trying to find a solution in other people's posts but i failed...i tried everything :

1) i have kasperky anti virus updated so i scanned my system many time in search of viruses...nothing !
2) the windows firewall is not activated
3) i came back to YAHOO CLASSIC and back again to Yahoo NEW MAIL , it doesn't help in neither
4) i installed C.CLEANER and cleaned my whole system (delete cache, cookies, check and repair registry etc...) then restarted the computer
5) i tried to attach various light documents on both yahoo and hotmail and of both Firefox 3.6 and Internet explorer 8
6) i desactivated Windows defender thinking it could be the cause and even tried to desactivate the Kaspersky's mail control tool for 10 minutes...
7) Windows critical update have been executed

None of those have allowed me to be able to send attachments again !

i even tried to restore windows system to an earlier date just to realize the formest date it proposed me was 2 days ago...when my email attachment problem appeared 4 days back..so didn't do it

The only indication i got after all those tests is that this problem comes from my computer cause i tried from a friend's computer today with my internet connection and then i was able to attach files on both my yahoo and hotmail.com email accounts

Thanx for your help cause at this point i'm really desperate and i don't want to reach the painful point where i have to reinstall windows...

-----------------
HP PAVILION DV6-1330
WINDOWS 7
FIREFOX 3.6.4
IE8
KASPERSKY ANTI-VIRUS 2010

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello and welcome to G2G.

From the sounds of your post it seems like you are inquiring about receiving Malware assistance with your computer. Unfortunately you will need to create a new thread and post the required logs in this forum here: Malware Forum. Please make sure you follow the steps outlined in this thread here: START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the requested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

Best of Luck.

Cheers,
SweetTech.

kony

kony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hello thank you for your answer...well at first i cannot say i was inquiring for malware cleaning assistance. i was reporting a problem with my emails attachment, but i just don't know where it really comes from.

Plus i applied many supposedly good cleaning software just today (namely CCLEANER and the famous ADAWARE)...i'm very interested in solving my problem but the cleaning process you advised me is very complicated from what i can see (it implies many different program downloads) and i wonder how they can do better than AD AWARE and CCLEANER, known to be excellent

i'm just not sure i'm having a malware problem since ADAWARE apparently deleted all known spywares

BUT I WILL GIVE IT A TRY...

Edited by kony, 03 June 2010 - 02:56 PM.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Just because Ad-Aware says it deleted all known spyware doesn't mean that there isn't still malware on your computer that it is unable to detect and remove. I think your best bet would be to run the tools in that link I provided and post your logs for a malware helper to analyze and wait for them to advise you further.

kony

kony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
YOU ARE RIGHT. I'm gonna try that method and give a feedback

thanx

kony

kony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
this morning, when conducting some other tests i realized that in fact if i try to send very small size files (10 ko, 20 ko up to around 50 ko) YAHOO as HOTMAIL will attach them

it's when i try larger than 50 ko size files that those webmails keep loading without end and fail to attach (it can be files as small as 70 or 80 ko !)...

And i can't say it's due to my internet connection cause i borrowed the 3G simcard of a friend of myne and i put it in my laptop...the problem remains.

But when i use his computer (with that same simcard) and that i access YAHOO and HOTMAIL, then i can attach any size of files !!!

So it seems the problem is localised inside my computer...

I lately scanned again extensively my computer for other malware files which could cause the problem but nothing was detected...