Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Problems, can't get the Keys right

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello:

I had to do a total Recovery on my PC. I was told by the Malware forum to perform this Recovery by rebooting the system and from the DELL Logo page to hit, the "Ctrl key and tapping F11", which took me into the Recovery Console and from there the Recovery was performed, I have no Win-XP CD's.

After the Recovery was completed, coming back up on my Desktop and getting every thing in the order as it should be, I right clicked on the Desktop, Properties, Appearance, Advance, then resizing the Icons on my Taskbar and everything there, I used the Caption Buttons trying to enlarge the Minimize, Restore and Close keys of the IE browser, which are entirely too small, you almost can't see them, so every time I would enlarge those Keys, the Icons on my Taskbar and on the Systems Tray would become too large, I don't want that. So I was told that it sounds like the MARLETT.TTF font, that either it was not installed during the Recovery or it's damaged in some way and I might want to uninstall and re-install the Font or ask someone how to repair it.

So with that information, I did a Search and found out from Microsoft that this is a Win-95 problem, I have Win-XP.

Another problem I have is enlarging the Menu under Start, under All Programs, the words are just like the browser keys almost too small to read. I've tried every thing and nothing helps. Something's either too small or too large, can't seem to get every thing to work all together.

Can anyone help !!!

Thank U !!!

simplee55 :)

Edited by simplee55, 03 June 2010 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I agree it is probably a missing or corrupt font but it's unlikely to be missing or corrupt in the Dell Recovery Image so you might want to repeat the Dell Recovery process. Seems like a 'hammer to crack a nut' solution I know but you need a Microsoft Windows XP Installation CD to replace just the missing/corrupt font on it's own, which you probably don't have.

The default system font used for the Windows XP shell (ie the user interface) for all European and Latin languages is called "Tahoma" (tahoma.ttf) I believe, but that info isn't going to be of much use to you if another recovery is your only option. Hope it goes okay this time.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 06 June 2010 - 08:10 AM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello phillipcorcoran, thank you for the reply.

Yep, I don't have a XP CD, wasn't given one by the person who gave me the PC. And I've already done 2 Recoveries on this PC and wont' do another unless I absolutely have to, it just takes too much time getting the computer back the way I want it after the Recovery. And you would think, after doing those two (2) Recoveries, that font would be installed, guess not.

Let me tell you of another problem, though minor, I found right after running those two (2) Recoveries. After that first (1st) Recover, right after coming back up on the Desktop, I went into the Control Panel, then ADD/REMOVE Programs, scrolling down looking to see the different Programs that were downloaded after this Recovery, and to my surprise there was "MyWaySearch" right there big as day. My thought was, I haven't downloaded anything yet, so how did that get there.

Okay, here comes the 2nd Recovery, and did the same thing with the ADD/REMOVE programs, and there it was "MyWaySearch". So the only conclusion how it got there was from DELL, because it's virtually impossible to have your Hard Drive wiped clean and you have a critter downloaded after a Recovery, especially from your PC's Manufacturer. So having a separate XP Recovery CD would be great. Oh, and I took care of that critter with Malwarebytes'.

So my question to you is this:

Because XP is an older version of Windows now, do they still sell that CD, and if so, can you point me in the direction where I can purchase it, at a reasonable/cheap price I hope.

Again, thank you for all your help !!!

simplee55 :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Why not contact Dell and have them send you the Recovery Disks to you. The last time I did that, it was $30 and they over-nighted them to me. The Dell Operating System disk will allow you to do a repair installation...which will leave your files and settings intact.

If you purchased the machine used, they will likely ask you to do an ownership transfer. It's painless.

Edited by wannabe1, 06 June 2010 - 02:32 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello wannabe1:

The computer was given to me USED as a gift and NO CD's came with it and yes, I will call DELL and let them know and purchase the CD's from them.

Thank you !!!