Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window 7 Corrupt Registry and No Registry Backup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Running Windows 7x64, and got a BSOD with my brand new computer...loveyly.. $1200 for a quad core Win 7 with a 64GB SSD and a 1TB Raid 0 config, only got get the BSOD within 3 months of purchase...

I know I can reinstall, although I didn't configure it originally, and am a bit hesistant to do that.

I never backed up the Registry. So I'm thinking I"m completely hozed.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I can't get windows to start, and I tried running it from the command window with no luck. I get "The Ssubsystem needed to support the image type is not present."

I downloaded the image to an external USB Drive, then tried running it from that on my corrupted Windows 7 machine.

Update: I've had to reboot several times, but I finally got windows to come up (using the Windows 7 install disk, and clicking on "repair" when it starts)... trying BlueScreenViewer again.

Success!:

==================================================
Dump File : 060410-215499-01.dmp
Crash Time : 06/04/2010 8:40:17 AM
Bug Check String : BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
Bug Check Code : 0x00000074
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 2 : fffff880`02792b20
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 4 : ffffffff`c000003a
Caused By Driver : Ntfs.sys
Caused By Address : Ntfs.sys+b868
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\060410-215499-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600

Dump File : 053110-143396-01.dmp
Crash Time : 05/31/2010 7:56:48 PM
Bug Check String : CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug Check Code : 0x000000f4
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`08bf9b30
Parameter 3 : fffffa80`08bf9e10
Parameter 4 : fffff800`051cb540
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70600
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16539 (win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\053110-143396-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600

Edited by ProsperousOne, 04 June 2010 - 06:48 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try to Run a Startup Repair...instructions here...If repairs are not successful, you'll see a summary of the problem

if its not the hard drive or hard drive controller causing the issue you could also try to Do a Repair Install...
instructions here...

Edited by happyrock, 04 June 2010 - 08:59 AM.

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Already been doing that....

When I finally got it to lanuch windows, I decided I better create a system restore point. As soon as I completed that, I got another BSOD. I went through the Startup Repair about 10 more times, and finally got bacdk to windows. I ran again the BlueScreenView, and it didn't have any new files on the latest crash.

MEH....HATE windows

Upon the lastest bSOD, when I rebooted, I got a "BOOTMGR is CURRUPT. The system cannot boot."

So I put the Win7 Install CD back in and did the above boot several times until the Win 7 started correctly.

Any way to check for a corrupt registry etc?

Edited by ProsperousOne, 04 June 2010 - 11:25 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, since this computer is almost brand new, you can perform one more check (listed below).
If your computer is clean, I'd contact computer manufacturer.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I ended up having to replace my 64GB SOlid State Drive. And I managed to delete my data disk partiion on my other data drive, So I"m back at square one... I hat8 computers....

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thanks for posting back :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :)

And I managed to delete my data disk partiion on my other data drive

could you tell us how you did this...it may help some else to avoid doing the same thing

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

And I managed to delete my data disk partiion on my other data drive

could you tell us how you did this...it may help some else to avoid doing the same thing

Total Operator Error (aka I did a really stupid thing):

Per directions from the computer manufacturer, I was to delete partitions of the boot disk (64GB SSD) during the reinstall of Windows 7.

The Windows 7 install process asked which partitions I wanted to deleted, and didn't mark them by their previous drive letters (C: for my SSD and D: for my 1TB HDD Data Drive). Instead of taking an extra 20 seconds to look at all the data and deduce that I only want to delete the partitions on the SSD, I deleted them all... DOOH!.

Edit: assuming no one else has further questions, you can close this and mark "solved." Thanks for the help.

Fortunatly, I didn't write any additional data nor repartition/reformat the Data drive.

FYI, I've tried 2 free Partition Undelete software packages:

http://www.paragon-s...l/download.html

http://www.partition...om/download.htm

I had difficulty with the paragon utility, and had to burn 2 cds to get it to work and boot correctly, and it still wouldn't see my HDD drive (which btw was a RAID 0 configuration of 2 1 TB WD drives).

So next I tried "Create a New Simple Drive" from within the Windows 7 Disk Manager.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!! It further complicates the recovery of the partition undelete.

So next I tried the Partition-Recovery software demo free edition, and used the "SuperScan Option." This took about 4 hours to completely scan all 1TB. (I think if I hadn't tried to "Create new simple drive", the Quick scan option in the software would have found the deleted partition in minutes).

I'm now at the point where I have recoved most of the lost files due to my stupidity :).

And I recommend trying the http://www.partition...om/download.htm if you have problems with a deleted partition.

Edit: Assuming that no one has any further questions, please close this and mark "Solved." Thanks for all the help!

Edited by ProsperousOne, 14 June 2010 - 09:10 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for sharing...you will save some people from the same fate your suffering through now

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Update: the http://www.partition...om/download.htm software required a $40 purchase (I bought the windows version) in order to actually recover the data. The Free download only scans and shows what can be recovered. :)

$40 was will well worth my time value :)