Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot launch internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

KL23

KL23

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My computer hangs and will not connect to the internet. When I try to open IE or firefox it just hangs with a blank screen. I used control alt delete to close the nonresponsive program and when I try to report the problem it also hangs. When I try to repair the internet connection I get the message:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: clearing the DNS cache. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

Here is my Hijack This log, copied over via thumb drive (I'm on a different computer)...

Edited by Rorschach112, 04 June 2010 - 05:22 AM.
removed clean log

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
XP computers
From "run" type cmd to get a command window.
type:
ipconfig /flushdns
(note the space)

You might also want to shut the computer down, unplug the modem from the electrical outlet, wait a minute, then restart the computer and plug the modem back in when you see the XP splash screen. (This is called "forcing the modem" which means it reregisters with your ISP)

Vista users have to use the run command as as admin (done with a right click), but it's the same procedure.
Johanna

KL23

KL23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks!

I used Norton Utilities to clean and repair the registry and I restarted the computer and it worked fine. Not sure what was going on there, I had rebooted with no luck before. But at any rate, it works again. Thanks again for your advice

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'm just curious why you asked for advice, got it and ignored it, choosing your own solution? Do you know what the "registry" is? Did you know your registry was unrelated to your issue? Glad you are online again (probably the reboot after enough time had passed) and that you survived a Norton registry cleaning with no ill effects. Thanks for posting back with what worked for you.
Johanna

KL23

KL23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I posted here out of desperation after not being able to fix the problem with the limited knowledge I have of computers (e.g. restarting, clicking "repair" under internet connection etc.) Before you replied to my post I read somewhere online that computer freezes can be caused by registry problems and since I know I have some kind of Norton registry fixer thing I thought I'd give it a try. I don't know that much about computers but I know it can be dangerous to mess with the registry. There is a lot of "advice" out there and I'm curious with various "computer fixing/cleaning" products how does one know when it is bad or good to use them? I don't mean to knock your advice, I didn't really expect anything else I tried to work... I just got lucky and figured it was good form to state what actually happened for the record. Thanks again!