Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezes a minute after startup (unsure if virus or corrupt fil

• Please log in to reply

ScionReaver

ScionReaver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yesterday I installed Tropico 3 and immediately after I started it up, my computer shut itself down (it went through the normal process of logging me out, etc., as if I had initiated the shutdown myself). After I started it up again, I was able to log in normally, but as soon as I clicked to close a window or minimize anything, the window would freeze and hang. If I tried to open the start bar, the whole bar at the bottom would freeze. I can't even access the ctrl+alt+del screen. Safe mode works fine though, so I ran a full scan overnight and it found some minor viruses and such but nothing related to this. If I wait a few minutes after it starts up, I can close the windows of all the startup programs but it soon will freeze right after once I click anything. I tried a system restore, but it went to a time before I uninstalled a 10gb program, which led to there being 200kb left on my drive, slowing everything down and rendering it unable for me to restore back forward. I freed up some space so system restore would work again, but after doing that even system restore wouldn't work (I couldn't go back or forward in the calendar).

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

so I ran a full scan overnight and it found some minor viruses

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).