Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem cannot detect dial-tone in Vista

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I am hoping someone here can help a friend of mine. He is running Vista and last week when trying to connect to AOL, he gets a error message that says the modem cannot detect a dial tone. He is not sure what has happened. One night it worked; the next day it did not. He has ever reinstalled the newest version of AOL and that did not remedy anything. Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it? He says the error message he is getting is this: modem cannot detect a dial-tone error ac-1103 0x84200106. It also mentions the Vista operating system and makes reference to the Vista firewall. I do not believe he has any fax software, but is there a way to test the modem and see if it is working? Any help you can give is appreciated and thanks for it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
AOL error messages are a law unto themselves, they don't appear anywhere else online.
You are best advised to contact AOL.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The telephone wire that's plugged into the back of the modem ... take it out, plug it into a telephone, pick up the phone receiver and listen for a dial tone.

If you don't hear a dial tone, neither will the modem. :)

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

AOL error messages are a law unto themselves, they don't appear anywhere else online.
You are best advised to contact AOL.

My buddy contacted AOL several times. Each time the Indian who answered the phone could do nothing except to tell my buddy to call Microsoft. He did and they say it is not a Windows problem. Call AOL was their suggestion...

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

The telephone wire that's plugged into the back of the modem ... take it out, plug it into a telephone, pick up the phone receiver and listen for a dial tone.

If you don't hear a dial tone, neither will the modem. :)

He does hear a dial tone when connected through the computer. Is there a way to get the modem to perform a test so you can hear it try and dial? I do not think he has a fax program unless there is on on Vista by default. Suggestions?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If you have a valid copy of Windows XP, you can find the HyperTerminal files in:

c:\program files\windows nt\hypertrm.exe
c:\windows\help\hypertrm.chm
c:\windows\help\hypertrm.hlp
c:\windows\system32\hypertrm.dll

Create a new directory on your Vista/Windows 7 machine (such as: C:\Program Files (x86)\HyperTerminal) and copy all four files into that directory. (They do not have to be in different directories like they were on XP).

Make a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\HyperTerminal\HYPERTRM.EXE", then use HyperTerminal as you normally would.