Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding old Hard Drive to new computer

• Please log in to reply

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
because you useing sata drives the bios might see it but because it hdd have look see if in bios there is a setting some where that stops it from being used because of the sta setup u using

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The file system (ie FAT32 in your case) has got nothing to do with the bios or the motherboard. Besides which, it is being recognised in the bios, just not by XP.

Have you opening disk management in XP and seeing if the drive appears in there at all? Or partition magic if you have a copy.

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, I have. Once XP is running, the HD is no where to be found. Not in disk management, not in Device Manager, not in My Computer.

I don't have a copy of partiotion magic.

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've tried adjusting just about everything I can thing of in my BIOS, looking for a conflict between the SATA and IDE. I can't find any problem--but that I have not entirely ruled that out.

I looked on Quantum.com for a driver or any kind of info. They have been bought out by Maxtor which stated I shouldn't need any type of driver for the Quantum Fireball lct10 30 GB HD.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Don't know if this will help or not, but Maxtor have a drive utility called Powermax that you can download from there website. It creates a bootable floppy disk with powermax on & can run drive diagnostics for physical problems but for OS related issues (such as OS not recognising the drive etc)

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks, I'm giving it a try.

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I downloaded powermax and ran it. It did not detect the Quantum HD. It only detected my WD SATA array.

During POST, when searching for IDE devices, the Quantum Fireball shows up. Somewhere, it stops being recognized.

???

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
This has to be a bios issue then I would think. Are you sure the ide controllers are enabled? What other settings do you have in the bios for the drives / drive controllers?

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!

I finally got the old HD to be recognized. Everything in the BIOS was enabled correctly. Under Device Manager, only the SATA drive array was recognized, but I also found an unrecognized Mass Storage Device. It was unrecognized because no driver had been added. I updated the driver by having it look automatically on the CD that came with my motherboard. It found a driver; it installed, and wallah..., now my old HD is recognized and readable. Pathetically simple.

My current set-up: XP is loaded on my 2 SATA drives in RAID 0 array. The optical drives are on the primary IDE, and the old HD is on the secondary IDE.

Thanks everyone for your help!