Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion 753c

• Please log in to reply

iamsoconfused!

iamsoconfused!

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi! I live in Northern Virginia and am selling an old HP Pavilion 753c running Windows XP Home Edition. I'm selling it along with a Dell monitor. I'm not sure what it's called, but it looks EXACTLY like the one in this picture. How much should I charge? It's used, with minor scuffs. Also, the CD drive doesn't read for some reason? Any help there? But the DVD drive does. So...it's all good. :)

Thanks a million!
Jack

Edited by iamsoconfused!, 06 June 2010 - 01:44 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Think 10% of what you paid for it.
Then knock a bit more off because the CD unit doesn't work, also because it's cosmetically damaged.

Youre not going to get what you paid for it originally and with all due respect the machine's eight years old which would effectively make it worthless.
You may find you can get more money for it by selling the individual components as opposed to the entire machine.

iamsoconfused!

iamsoconfused!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Think 10% of what you paid for it.
Then knock a bit more off because the CD unit doesn't work, also because it's cosmetically damaged.

Youre not going to get what you paid for it originally and with all due respect the machine's eight years old which would effectively make it worthless.
You may find you can get more money for it by selling the individual components as opposed to the entire machine.

Aww crap. I'm think that I'll sell it (with the monitor) for $100. Is that too much?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try it. You can ask for whatever you want. Whether you get it is another matter.
$100 is about £70, which is realistically still a bit too high for the machine on its own and in some areas half the cost of a new machine altogether, so you can see how far that's depreciated in eight years. Think about it: You spend $100 on your machine whereas if you spend as much again you'll get a new machine that wipes the floor with that one.
Selling it with the monitor may just get you your asking price. Unfortunately computers depreciate in value like there's no tomorrow and one day it will be ultimately be worthless and could take pride of place in the local museum :)