Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchased used laptop w/no operating system

• Please log in to reply

adrianne8288

adrianne8288

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I purchased a used laptop (Gateway solo 2500) and it came wiped out with no operating system.
I have been trying to install Windows XP from the laptop I am on now and am confused about a few things:
1. I have 3 disks that came with my good laptop - but none of them say that they are windows xp, here is the list: Microsoft setup and network utility v2.0, Microsoft Works, Restore Disc - only to be used with my Fujitsu... I have tried to install the first two - I can hear the computer read them when I put them in, but nothing happens.
I have tried rebooting with the discs in - nothing different happens. I have tried hitting the enter key with the disc in - nothing happens. I have tried typing in RUN or SETUP.... nothing happens.
I know I am a computer dummy - can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Advertisements

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
You need to acquire the Windows XP installation disc and registration. You can buy this from most computer stores. The discs you have are "utilities", not the operating system.

adrianne8288

adrianne8288

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cool... thats what I needed to know - THanks!