Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 windows media center crashes, freezes

• Please log in to reply

AZCMer

AZCMer

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have a fairly new windows 7 machine and I like to watch movies and videos using Windows Media Center.

I am experiencing freezes, lockup, and eventually crashes while using this software. I don't get error messages, although I used to get them saying something like graphics shutting down.

Now, what is happening is that something will be playing either on my monitor or tv and then the picture will stop, sound will keep going. Cursor stops and I can't do anything except a hard shut down.

Sometimes, when I wait too long to do a hard shut down, I get lines across the screen that look like interference lines on old tv sets. One time I got an error IO error status 0xc000000e.

I have searched the web for solutions, but don't find any. I even don't really find problems out there. . . some postings, but no responses.

Chatted with an HP technician and he said this is a known problem caused by an 'infestation of a colony of viruses, trojans, and malware'. Though I did have some of that and worked with someone in the malware forum here, I still continue to have this problem.

Can you help?

Computer: HP Pavilion p6210y
Processor: AMD Athlon II x4 620 processor 2.6 ghz
RAM: 6 GB
64 bit operating system

Advertisements