Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba A135-S4527 will not reinstall from Reinstall CD

• Please log in to reply

densolis

densolis

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I am trying to reinstall Vista Home premium on my Toshiba Laptop A135-S45a7. The CD's came with my machine are titled "Recovery and Application / Drivers Satellite A130/A135 series Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit." There are two CDs.

Both CD's appear to load fine. However, when the system tries to boot into Vista the first time it hangs. When it boots, I get the Toshiba Logo, then a blank screen, then Microsoft Corporation on the bottom of the screen and then the little 5 bars that roll across of progress bar area, and the the 5 bars stop rolling, the screen goes blank, then I get the "Aurora Boreala Lights" screen that has a cirle in the middle of the screen (that is not moving) and a message "Please wait". I've let it wait for 5 hours, so I'm pretty sure that this is where it hangs up.

I have run Memdiag on it for 5 hours and no errors, I ran a disk diagnostic on the hard drive and it says the drive is ok.

Any suggestions on what I do next?

Thanks,

Dennis

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Do you still have the recovery partition

To recover your hard disk drive using the utilities stored on your
computer’s HDD:

Make sure the computer is turned off.

Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while
powering on the computer. When the computer powers on, the
Toshiba Recovery Wizard screen displays.

densolis

densolis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
HI,

No, I the hard drive died so I purchased the same model so minimiuze hardware and reinstall issues. So I have a blank drive or rather a partially installed Vista on the drive.

There is a C and an E Drive when the install dies in the middle of everything. I guess the E drive is the recovery partition. I could try installing from that.

Anything else?

Dennis

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The 'E' drive is just a temporary drive known as a "ramdrive", basically it's a "virtual drive" whose contents are held in RAM. Windows Setup or the OEM Recovery process creates that drive in memory then copies the files to it from the Setup or Recovery CDs.

It has to do that because the files from the CD have to be decompressed before they can be used to install Windows on to the hard disk.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
since it’s a new disk with a partially installed windows use something like DBAN
to wipe clean the drive make sure the cd’s are not scratched and try a fresh install

using Dban will take some time depending how large the drive is

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect

http://www.dban.org/