Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Suggestion, if I may, ComboFix related

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

xmephistox

xmephistox

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Before using ComboFix the malware experts usually say turn off/deactivate anti-malware programs and antivirus programs.
I just experienced that my zonealarm, which autostarts of course interfered with Combofix.
Probably without too much harm, it was after the log had already been generated, but still.

I did not know there were gonna be so many reboots, so I just turned it off instead of deactivating autostart.
It might be helpful to tell people that ComboFix could reboot several times, so deactivate anti-virus, anti-malware etc from autostarting.

Now I know that ComboFix reboots, but on the first run, you just don't know what it's gonna do.

Not a big deal, just a matter of semantics I guess. Turn off is something else than deactivate autostart.
Turn off /deactivate looks as if any of those options is OK.
I picked the wrong one. My mistake.

Edited by xmephistox, 07 June 2010 - 05:45 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It depends on the protection program in question, so it's difficult to cover every situation. Some can be turned off and remain that way until they are turned back on. Other programs will only be disabled until the computer is rebooted, as you've learned. It's not so much a question of semantics as it is the difficulty of being able to address every situation in one simple speech. :) Since it's possible that other people could choose to add potentially dangerous advice to this thread, I'm going to close it.