Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I make an 'enter parameter value' box

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Trying to make a report to show the details for one customer only. At the moment all I can get is one report showing every customer page by page. Is there a way to select say 'Job number' or whatever and then only get the details that apply to that one Job/Customer?

EDIT: I think what I need is an 'enter parameter value' box? So that the user can type in the Job number and get a report with the details for that job number. (I have an old database that does exactly this, but I cannot work out how they set it up as it is all in switchboard so I cannot access the working behind it).

Edited by tiroshii, 08 June 2010 - 09:04 AM.

Advertisements

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello Tiroshii,

What is the source of the report?

If it is a query, one method would be to enter the below line under the Criteria line (within the Query Design View) of the item you want the user to enter a "search" term.
Like [Please enter a Job Order ID]&"*"

In this example:
  • The above statement will allow the user to enter a partial ID number, in case they don't know the correct spelling/syntax, etc.
  • Removing the Like and the &"*" would require the user to type in the extact value being searched for.
  • The text between the brackets (Please enter a Job Order ID) will be displayed in a message box when the query (or the report) is run, prompting the user to enter a search term.
Note, this not the most elegant solution, and if you wish to search or filter by more than one criteria, you could use multiple paramater lines, though it may get cumbersome for the user.

hope this helps.

dm

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Sorry forgot to post again, I found another way around it, but will keep in mind for if the powers that be decide they want it like this.

Thanks