Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

choice for 2nd browser?

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I am a computer novice, I do not download music or upload anything to the internet. I prefer to keep my computer basic and simple. I do have SUPERAntiSpyware, ATF Cleaner, AdAware, and AVGFree9. I have been using Internet Explorer for years, current have IE8. I would like to download a 2nd browser so I can access my 2nd Yahoo email account on the same screen as my main Yahoo email account, which for some reason I can no longer do(I have been able to do this for over 2 years and suddenly I cannot, even though I had opened two different windows of IE). So. If I open Yahoo in a different browser I should be able to simultaneously see my two yahoo accounts. But. I have no idea which browser would be best for me to download. I do not need bells and whistles, just something easy to navigate. I appreciate any advice.

Nancy

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Firefox works well for me. :)

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I have downloaded Firefox. I have used it for about 3 minutes and already I like it. I did not make it my default browser nor did I import favorites et al, as I wanted to play with it for a while. Will I be able to do that at a later time, yet still retain them in Internet Explorer?

Nancy

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I believe I am going to have many questions about Firefox. Is this the thread to do it in, or should I post somewhere else? When I open one window in Internet Explorer and then one in Firefox, then go to Yahoo on both of them and sign in at each browser to a different Yahoo email account, do I have to continue using ATF Cleaner and clean cookies all the time? I do not see a Command bar at the top with a COPY icon, do I have to set that up myself? Can I set Yahoo as my homepage, with Firefox, or should I set it to something else?

Nancy

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I believe I am going to have many questions about Firefox. Is this the thread to do it in, or should I post somewhere else?

Here is fine.

When I open one window in Internet Explorer and then one in Firefox, then go to Yahoo on both of them and sign in at each browser to a different Yahoo email account, do I have to continue using ATF Cleaner and clean cookies all the time?

All the time? No. Just run it whenever you do your weekly maintenance.

I do not see a Command bar at the top with a COPY icon, do I have to set that up myself?

Do you have the Menu bar toggled On? (It can be toggled On/Off just like in IE). Right-click anywhere in the blank space between the Title bar and Address (Navigation) bar, then select "Menu Bar". Once it's there, "Copy" is under "Edit". (Note that "Copy" will be grayed out until you have something selected/highlighted on a page that you want to copy).

Can I set Yahoo as my homepage, with Firefox, or should I set it to something else?

Your homepage can be set to anything you like.

--

BTW - I may have run across a fix for your "I cannot login with different credentials" in Internet Explorer:

http://iefaq.info/in...l...&artlang=en

I don't use Yahoo so can't test it, but, it sounds like it should work.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I like Firefox. So far it is easy to work with. I have found the Edit button, and Copy. I previously had an icon, so you could highlight something, hit this icon, and that was it, it saved the middle step of going to Edit, then Copy. We receive our internet through a satellite, so any time I can save doing something, the better, as it is not real fast.
When I click on the Firefox icon, it then asks if I want Firefox as my default browser. Should I say yes? I would like to keep Internet Explorer also. With Firefox I have no homepage, should I set that to Yahoo, if so how do I do that?
At present I have signed into both Yahoo email accounts and no problem. I believe that link you provided was the answer, my problem was not because of updating Microsoft. "This is a side-effect of a new feature called LCIE (loosely coupled IE) which also introduces so-called "session merging".
Thanks.

Nancy

Edited by tofu5, 09 June 2010 - 01:50 PM.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
In reading up on Mozilla, I see they have ThunderBird for email. I am so used to Yahoo and can access it from any computer. Any advantage to ThunderBird?
In FireFox bookmarks, I set up some Folders but cannot figure out how to Organize them. The second new folder is now a subcategory of the first one. What am I missing? P.S. I tried dragging the new folders and arranged them as I wanted them, so that worked. I find the Bookmarks area quite confusing, a lot different than Yahoo Favorites.

Nancy

Edited by tofu5, 09 June 2010 - 01:52 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I like Firefox. So far it is easy to work with. I have found the Edit button, and Copy. I previously had an icon, so you could highlight something, hit this icon, and that was it, it saved the middle step of going to Edit, then Copy. We receive our internet through a satellite, so any time I can save doing something, the better, as it is not real fast.

You can add a "Copy" icon (and more) to the Firefox Navigation Toolbar.

First, right-click any blank spot just below the Title bar and make sure there is a checkmark next to Navigation Toolbar.

Posted Image

Once again, right-click any blank spot just below the Title bar but this time select "Customize...".

Find the Copy icon Posted Image and drag it up to say between the Home and Printer icon on the Navigation Toolbar.

Posted Image

That's it. Click the Done button.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

When I click on the Firefox icon, it then asks if I want Firefox as my default browser. Should I say yes? I would like to keep Internet Explorer also.

That's entirely up to you. Either way you set it you can still use either browser whenever you want. (I simply click either browser icon on my taskbar).

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

With Firefox I have no homepage, should I set that to Yahoo, if so how do I do that?

Should you? Again, that's entirely up to you. You can set your homepage to anything you like. (It's sorta like picking a paint color or wallpaper for your bedroom ... there are at least a bazillion options. Since it's your bedroom, pick one). :)

As far as setting your homepage to Yahoo in Firefox, click Tools > Options... > the General tab, type the following in the "Home Page:" box:

http://www.yahoo.com

and then click the OK button.

Edited by SpywareDr, 10 June 2010 - 04:06 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In reading up on Mozilla, I see they have ThunderBird for email. I am so used to Yahoo and can access it from any computer. Any advantage to ThunderBird?

No advertising. :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In FireFox bookmarks, I set up some Folders but cannot figure out how to Organize them. The second new folder is now a subcategory of the first one. What am I missing? P.S. I tried dragging the new folders and arranged them as I wanted them, so that worked.

Yep, you can drag them around to wherever you want.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I find the Bookmarks area quite confusing, a lot different than Yahoo Favorites.

I'm sure it probably is. Don't know for sure though because I don't use Yahoo. (Too much "noise" . . . "in your face" advertising).

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
"Find the Copy icon and drag it up to say between the Home and Printer icon on the Navigation Toolbar."

I did it, even put the Paste icon there. Who knew???

"You can set your homepage to anything you like."
I do not especially like Yahoo, too much advertising. But I have no idea what other page to set as my homepage. Is there such a thing as a Google homepage?

Well SpywareDr, you have really helped me and explained "how-to-do" in easy to understand language. I will be back with more questions but for now I am good-to-go.

Nancy

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I downloaded Thunderbird, so I could get a new email address. No matter what I tried I could not set up a New Account(email address) for myself. What did I do wrong?

Nancy