Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Medion Laptop F11 Windows Recover

• Please log in to reply

Mijj

Mijj

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

not sure if this is entirely the right forum, but....

I have a client with a Medion laptop that suffered a crash. He went through the in built restore process by hitting F11 before Windows XP Home Edition boots. This was successful, but now every time the laptop is rebooted, the 'Hit F11 to recover' message pops up. If it is ignored, it will time out and Windows boots ok. However, if F11 is pressed, it goes off into recovery and restores the machine to factory state, erasing all his documents and settings. Courtesy of his children he has had his machine reset to factory twice. Not good!

I could find nowhere to disable this, and don't really want to do another restore if I can help it.

Anybody got any suggestions for
resolving this, other than repeating the recovery process and reinstaling all apps etc?

Thanks in advance,

Mijj

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Go to System Properties under Advanced and Startup and Recovery and uncheck Time to display recovery option when needed

Maybe this will help

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
No, its probably an option in the BIOS. Refer to your system manual. I would look for something such as "Hide Boot Screen" or "Disable Boot Screen" in the BIOS to stop that screen from showing up.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Sorry Diabelic is right my suggestion is for the safe mode ect options, my boo boo

Mijj

Mijj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks - I didn't think to look in the BIOS. Will try that...

Cheers

Mijj

eudoxa

eudoxa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!
Just found solution. That press f11 for recovery is part of boot sequence before choosing OS (if more than one).
If you manage to reinstall MBR you will get rid of it. I did it with EasyBCD in section BCD Deployment and selected write MBR. It will install-reinstall your existing MBR and that "press F11...." thing will dissapear....
Regards...