Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Security

• Please log in to reply

cheri54

cheri54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I quickly browsed and didn't see anything about this and hopefully I've put this under the appropriate category.

I have notice that fairly often when I've been online for sometime, a box will pop saying that Wireless Connection 2 is now connected to my household. I've also noticed that when I click on my Wireless Connection icon (compter symbol), it shows my household and another named Jeannie. I have a neighbor by that name. Does this mean that she has accessed my wireless router? I had a computer tech install my security settings so I don't know how to block her if this is the case.

Advertisements

Selix

Selix

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If it is under the category "Wireless Network Connection" then it is their wireless networks in your vicinity, and is what is possible to connect to the correct password. In other words, she is not connected to your router.

Edit: Saw that you were using Win XP, do not know how the interface looks like there in terms of the structure of wireless networks.

Edited by Selix, 08 June 2010 - 12:37 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It just means she has SSID broadcasting enabled.

cheri54

cheri54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you!