Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AC97 no sound

• Please log in to reply

healy

healy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi can anyone help me with this problem? I have checked all of the obvious things and reinstalled updated drivers but i cant get my sound to work. In the device manager there are four yellow exclamation marks. The first one is next to "PCIC or compatible PCMCIA controller, it says the device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (code 10). The second exclamation mark is next to "PCI bus, it says Windows could not load the driver for this device because the computer is reporting two PCI.VXD bus types (code 2)". The next one is next to "VIA PCI controller (WDM), it says This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (code 10)". The last one is next to "Wave device for voice modem, it says The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). Also when going into "sounds and multimedia" no playback devices are listed and no voice capture device is listed. Any of these problems related. Can someone please please help? Thankyou in advance.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Am I right in thinking you have a laptop, not a desktop?
Also, have you just reinstalled windows or made any other major changes to the system?

healy

healy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi.wow quick response. it is a desktop not a laptop but yes windows was reinstalled a while back and sound hasn't worked since but i am not sure for definate whether the sound was workin before the reinstallation of windows.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, it was the reference to pcmcia that threw me.
When you reinstalled windows, did you also reinstall the motherboard drivers etc straight after?

healy

healy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yeh but i had to search on the net for a few of them cos they wernt on any of the discs i have.lol im probably not helping u out much here am i....im not even sure what model the motherboard is.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, I think I'm gonna need to know the mobo model. Part of your problem is that you are running winME, which is a b*tch of an OS.
Download aida32 from here : http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html
Run it & it will tell you exactly what motherboard you have. All I need at the moment is the make & model number.

healy

healy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
im downloading as we speak! i shal post agen as soon as steamed powered dial-up has finished. yeh tell me about it - nothing but problems with ME...wouldnt recomend it to anyone. altough it beats the previous version i had on my old 386, that was 3.1.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I remember windows 3.1. It may have been somewhat basic by todays standards but at least it didn't crash, BSOD or have a hissy b*itch fit every other day!

healy

healy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Right i have run aida32 and this is what ive got :
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 05/04/2000-i810-W83627HF-6A69MAB9C-00
Motherboard Name AOpen MX3W Pro/MX3W Pro-E/MX3W Pro-V

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz
Effective Clock 67 MHz
Bandwidth 533 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name AOpen Inc.
Product Information http://english.aopen....tw/products/mb
BIOS Download http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads

That enough info?

lol...i see youve had experience with windows ME then!!!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

lol...i see youve had experience with windows ME then!!!

View Post

Oh yes but not for some time now, thankfully. I actually ran it on one of my systems a few years ago, it worked great for about 2 weeks then I changed the atapi CDROM drive for a different CDROM drive (same specs, same config etc) and winME fell over so badly that I had to reinstall windows! That was another indication that Microsofts testing dept consists of one part-time employee with an IQ of a walnut.

Thanks for the specs, thats exactly what I needed.

Samm

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you using an offboard PCI sound card - ie one that is inserted into a pci slot?

healy

healy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi. sorry for the late reply. no its actually an onboard soundcard cos to start with i thought it was my soundcard was knackered so went to replace it but realised that the sound card was onboard.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In your first post, you said one of the problem devices listed was 'VIA PCI Controller (WDM)'. WDM normally indicates an audio device, so I assumed that you were using a VIA sound card (probably onboard). But then I found out that your mobo has an Intel chipset, not via, so audio card must be off-board instead.

Can you tell me :
Did you actually get as far as replacing the sound card before realising there was an onboard one?
When you reinstalled windows, was it done on that computer or was the drive connected to a different machine at the time of the install?
What other devices do you have in the system?

healy

healy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The install was was carried out on the current computer. When deciding to replace my soundcard i rang the bloke that made the computer to order a new card and he asked me what motherboard he fitted to the pc so i told him Aopen and he said that had AC97 onboard sound or something. Plus my computer only has two PCI slots and both of those are free. No other devices are on the computer except for usual scanner,printer, etc.
Thanks for your help so far!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, essentially it looks like there are a lot of drivers that are either missing or the wrong ones have been installed.

If you follow this link : http://download.aope...tw/default.aspx
Select your motherboard (MX3W-Pro) from the list you can download the correct drivers for the board. You need the Intel chipset driver, the audio driver & the agp driver. You may also want to download the manual as well while you're there.

If the files are zipped, then extract them to the hard drive etc.
Next I would backup anything important to somewhere other than the hard drive.

From device manager, you could try clicking on each of the problem devices in turn ->properties->reinstall driver. Then let it select the driver from the ones you have downloaded.

If some of the downloads (when uncompressed) contain a setup.exe file in the root, and windows does not recognise the files as being a driver, then you will probably have to run the exe instead & let it install itself.

I will warn you now, that this is not guaranteed to work, especially given that is winME, and may even make matters worse. So, follow my advice at your own risk!

You may find in the end, you have to wipe the drive & do a fresh install of windows using these drivers, so make sure you have everything backed up (documents, pictures, internet settings, emails & email settings etc).