Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro BSOD

• Please log in to reply

daic

daic

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Recently my Gateway GT5475E received a BSOD error message.

At first, the computer would freeze at the Press F2 and F12 screen, not going any further.
After many attempts at restarting, it managed to get to loading. I ran a few scans but did not find any virus/spyware.
Upon restart, the computer again did not want to restart, kept getting a BSOD.

Again the computer would not restart, sometimes i could get to the log in screen right before the desktop shows, then the BSOD would appear.

Just now, the computer actually got to desktop and i ran windows update, installed them and upon restart still the computer BSOD.

The error showing is PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

Anyone know of any possible solutions?

EDIT : No new hardware has been installed, last software installed was Opera, BSOD did not occur until about a week after the installation.

EDIT 2 : Just turned back on the computer and it was able to get to the desktop, im sure, as usual, the computer will BSOD if i restart. Will keep computer on for any fixing ideas.

Edited by daic, 09 June 2010 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would first check if your ram (memory modules) is good, Download the program MEMTEST86 ISO Image and burn it to a cd.

Go into your BIOS and make your cd-rom your first boot, save your new setting put MEMTEST86 in the cd-rom and reboot.

If you have more then one ram module I suggest leaving only one in there at a time for each TEST so you can know which module is faulty if any.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you Alzeimer, testing ram stick 1 right now. Will post again when ive finished testing.

EDIT :Is there a difference in how the test is run from using Single core or Dual Core in setting? Since it stated Dual core was experimental?

Edited by daic, 09 June 2010 - 03:40 PM.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Test of ram stick one complete, tested no erros.
Starting test on stick 2...

EDIT: Since there was no retort on single or dual core testing, id assume that dual core would make the test faster?

Edited by daic, 09 June 2010 - 04:22 PM.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
On Pass 4 for stick 2, should i let it run all Pass's up to pass 9, stated that Pass 9 takes 90 minutes to complete.

Is it necessary to run such an extensive test, or is certain amount suffice for this problem.

Please advise.

Also, am i correct with my assumption that selecting Duel Core will speed up this process? Upon reading some information from the download site, it states it is based on CPU speed, as well as memory speed and memory size.

Edited by daic, 09 June 2010 - 05:35 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You should let the test go through all the way to the end and it does takes a certain amount of time.

If your ram has no errors on it then the next time you see your BSOD please try to see what is the error code (ex: 0x00000001) this will help to pinpoint in what direction to look.

As for Single or Dual core setting, I never changed that option myself I always left it at the default it gave me so I cannot tell you if it would make it faster or not but I assume it would.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the reply.
It says experimental so ill leave as default. On Pass 5 as 44% right now for this RAM stick.
I will have to let the other one go through all its tests (did not realize at first there was more then one Pass that is performed) Although the first pass did (of the first stick tried) showed no errors.

I had assumed since that problem is unknown at this time, safest bet would be to let all Pass's finish.

Will reply with any new information, or just when all tests are completed for both sticks.

EDIT : Also, i assume all default setting suffice for the testing, nothing needs be to altered from the default setting provided?

Edited by daic, 09 June 2010 - 05:57 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Just start it and let it run, thats what i do and if it finds errors it could be at any pass.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just wanted to make sure, didnt want to wait the whole process to figure out i needed to switch a setting on/off.

Thanks again

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Just to let you know each pass is different, it is not 9 time the same test but each time it tests different things.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Aye i see that in the display of the "Test" line in the application.

I do hope i find the error, the computer in testing motion is just for internet, so a missing ram stick wont be a problem at all.

Edit: So you know, i am no novice at computers just dont know each trick yet as to a fix. Your quote relates to my perspective.

Edited by daic, 09 June 2010 - 06:31 PM.