Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(RESOLVED) Sound card working but no sound from speakers

• Please log in to reply

skittblink

skittblink

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I like to think I'm fairly tech savvy about my computer but this is way over my head...

My onboard sound suddenly stopped working so I bought a sound card (Asus Xonar DS). After installation, everything appears to be working- the right audio device is listed under device manager, it says it's working correctly there are no yellow exclamation points by the audio devices, and if I play a video, the audio visualization on the sound card's control panel jumps along with the music.

But I get no sound from my speakers, and I can't play system sounds either. I tested the speakers on another computer and they work.

I tried enabling and disabling sound through BIOS and that didn't change anything.

Additionally, after the card was installed, Windows "found" a new device- my "ethernet controller" which it couldn't find a driver for. My internet stopped working at that point. I tried to find drivers for it online, but it refused to recognize any of them and I couldn't get it to work at all. (It was listed under "other devices" with a yellow exclamation mark in device manager)

I removed the sound card and the internet returned, no messages about ethernet controllers at all.
Is this a driver problem, or do I just need to get a new motherboard if I want sound and internet at once? :)

(I'm running Windows XP, with an Intel DP35PM Motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz 4MB 1333FSB CPU, if any of that is important.)

ETA: After removing the sound card and getting my internet back, I reinstalled it in a different slot and lo and behold, everything's working fine, no ethernet controller error messages and the sound is working again. I have no idea why a different slot fixed it, but I'm glad.

Edited by skittblink, 09 June 2010 - 10:26 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I have no idea why a different slot fixed it, but I'm glad.

The most probable fix is a IRQ (interrupt) conflict between the 2 slots.