Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP ( CARD ISSUES )

• Please log in to reply

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just bought a New Graphics Card , Geforce 6600 GT AGP 8X , installed the 71.89 driver, and i am haveing problems , i have a 400w power supply so it is geting power , i just installed a new harddrive 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM , and added a 512mb stick of PC3200 Ram to my system with the graphics card all in the same day i can run all the normal systems fine, except when i try to play games like Rise of Nations , Delta Force Black hawk down , and warcraft 3 , the menu screens run kinda sticky and all the menu text is kind of distorted , the intro videos are perfect but the menu screens are messed up on all three games , also once i load a game , there are white/gray rectangles all over , in every game they are there , i cant figure out what is wrong ........ If someone can help me with this that would be awsome ........ If u need to know any other info just let me know..... thanks. to all who post

Edited by Coldkiller44, 23 May 2005 - 09:50 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

First thing would be to update to the latest driver

Rick

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The 71.89 is the Most up to date driver avalible from Nvidia... And that is what i have in there right now and it does this...any other ideas anyone??? COULD IT BE AN ISSUE WITH THE WAY IT WAS MADE maybe its just bad????

Edited by Coldkiller44, 23 May 2005 - 09:48 AM.

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
DOES ANYONE know , i just noticed it says that in Nview it says BUS: PCI x0 shouldnt it say AGP since i have a AGP 8 x card???? or am i wrong on that...???

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey hey,

The exact same thing happened to me (also choppy animation, and inevitable game crash in addition to your stuff) when I first got my Chaintech 6600(non-GT) AGP 8x. I installed the drivers (71.89) from the CD that came from the company. My buddies told me that I would benefit from the latest drivers from the website (www.nvidia.com). This fixed a few problems but not all of them...

You may want to disable Vsync and fastwrites. Also in BIOS, make sure your card is set to AGP 8x and not 2x or 4x. If you are unsure on how to do these things, ask around before trying any of it. All these things helped me a little bit.

The next thing I tried (suggested by Chaintech ;) ) was to roll back the drivers to version 66.93. Who has ever heard of buying a card from a company, then being told by that company:
"Better not use the software we designed for that card, it's no good. Try using an earlier version of drivers supplied by nVidia... ;) " BAH!
So, I did what he said and it helped things out the most, but I still was unhappy with how choppy everything was and how games would randomly crash.

In the end (and I pray this is not true for you), I RMAed that headache and got a new 6600(non-GT) AGP 8x, from Asus. Now I am running all my games with version 71.89 drivers (from www.nvidia.com) and everything runs beautifully. No problems. No choppys animations. No stupid flashing pull-down menus. And most importantly NO MORE CRASHES....

One more thing I wanted to mention. With the 6600GT, your Power Supply should be at least 350W and >20A in the +12V rail to really see what the card can do.

There! I am done with my big song and dance. I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck. :tazz:

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
DIDNT WORK ...... anyone else wanna take a Shot at this Problem of mine............ goodluck

greggumz

greggumz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
IVE GOT GOOD NEWS FOR YOU MAN. I had an identical system to yours, AMD 2200, 6600 GT AGP, and of course I had identical problems. I promise you Just uninstall the latest drivers and get their drivers.

The web site is

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Click at the top Nvidia GF, then Click WinXP, then download the 6693 drivers. That will fix your problem, too bad people like us can't use the newest drivers, and i know how you feel, this will fix it. Just make sure to go to add/remove programs and uninstall your nvidia drivers before installing the new omega drivers.