Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Pitstop & Registry Errors

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I downloaded and ran the free version of PC Pitstop (on a suggestion from somewhere on this site) and it told me I have alot of registry errors. Since it was just the free scanner it doesn't tell me what they are or anything. So I was wondering, first I'm moderately computer knowledgeable is messing with the registry something I want to be doing and secondly, is there a registry fixer out there that someone could suggest?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Reg scanners should be given a wide birth, they will always find something wrong and usually when you run the fix, you end up with more problems.

You should only hack your registry if you REALLY know what you are doing.

If you are having problems? why not start a new post and get some help.

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Very true.

I like to think of the CPU as the heart of my machine, and the Registry as the brain. The Registry is a relatively small list of vital instructions and any mistakes there are liable to render your machine unusable. Even though you may have hundreds or even thousands of stray entries, Windows will still run fine and all the ads saying that you will get vast improvements in performance by using their product are largely so much bull.

Some people swear by the use of 'registry cleaners', but those that should know advise staying well clear of them. I know who I prefer to take notice of.

If you have a problem that requires editing the registry then that is a different story, but you do need to know exactly what you are doing if you are going to stay out of trouble.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
And then I will add my 2 cents to this.....

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

With that said, There will be times when the registry needs to be "adjusted" due to certain problems. When it does we will make sure that you have a full registry backup before proceeding. We recommend Erunt.

If you are having some problems, please post and we will try to help.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will add something in this also.
In your initial post you state you ran the program and it found registry problems.
Let me ask is the specific issue or problem you are having that you ran this program?
If so what are the symptoms of your issue?
What do you want to accomplish with your system?
This will help us to formulate a plan of action to assist you resolve any issues you are having.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I had no real problems but preventative maintenance is always good. I am trying to squeeze another year or two out of my 5 year old computer though. If everyone thinks I should leave it alone I will. Thanks for the responses.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well then lets do some preventive maintenance with some of our resources.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I attached both pages of results. When I click sensor nothing happens.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Let me know how system is running when done with all steps

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
All three done. The latest reload seems to be faster than normal. I dont really have any frame of reference to tell if its going any faster at other things though ( I dont do gaming or anything).

I have a question about temp files. The multiple defrags have turned up a couple of extremely large temp files including one that is nearly 1GB. Is it safe to delete all temp files?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did TFC get rid of them?
Where exactly is the temp file you mentioned located?

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I deleted one of the big temp files as it was a program that I don't use anymore and isn't even installed. The other one is in the folder of my cd burner program.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have the cd burner program on disk in case it needs to be reinstalled?
If so then delete it and let us know how it works then.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2010 - 06:10 AM.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I dont think I have it on a disk. It came preloaded. It could be but I'm not sure.

Its running great by the way. It loads faster than maybe ever.

Edited by BrianR1976, 16 June 2010 - 12:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. :)
Being a temp file it should have no affect on the program. :)