Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can erasing your computer and reinstalling Windows get rid of virus?

• Please log in to reply

jckinnick

jckinnick

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Can erasing your computer memory with something like Webroot Windows Eraser and reinstalling Windows get rid of viruses?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi jckinnick

No and yes.

Windows washer is only meant to clean traces of computer activity, cookies, internet activity, etc.

With the Window Washer System Eraser option, you can safely and effectively erase the contents of your hard drive so that you can donate or sell your computer with the knowledge that your private data is protected.

The key is to reformat the drive and not just do a re-install. If I was to do it, I would use something like DBAN (Deriks boot and nuke) and then re-format. DBAN writes 1's and 0's to the drive to securely wipe it. I do not see any evidence that windows washer does.

If you have a virus, why not visit the malware forum and clean it that way. When you re-load the OS, you will need to reinstall all programs and find all drivers for the board.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi jckinnick

No and yes.

Windows washer is only meant to clean traces of computer activity, cookies, internet activity, etc.

With the Window Washer System Eraser option, you can safely and effectively erase the contents of your hard drive so that you can donate or sell your computer with the knowledge that your private data is protected.

The key is to reformat the drive and not just do a re-install. If I was to do it, I would use something like DBAN (Deriks boot and nuke) and then re-format. DBAN writes 1's and 0's to the drive to securely wipe it. I do not see any evidence that windows washer does.

If you have a virus, why not visit the malware forum and clean it that way. When you re-load the OS, you will need to reinstall all programs and find all drivers for the board.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

No i don't have a virus i was just thinking out loud.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
What if you think your downloading a virus by accident, can unplugging your internet stop it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope since eventually you will connect the internet again. If the virus has already downloaded and installed then disconnecting the internet will do you no good at all.
You should have a good AV, Spyware, Malware and firewall enabled on your system. This won't stop everything but will make it harder for a infection to happen.
Also your surfing habits can be a cause of a infection. Visiting sites you are not familiar with or downloading from sites known to pass along virus infected files.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 June 2010 - 08:37 AM.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
But if you pulled the plug before it could download then you stopped it right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How would you know you are downloading it if it is hidden as a legitimate file?

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well yeah thats true.