Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - Weak wireless connection when 2m from router.

• Please log in to reply

Dom Soar

Dom Soar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

I just bought a new desktop and the wireless connection it finds with my router is very weak to the point that it drops out every few seconds, even though I'm about 2m from the router. The maximum wireless I get is 2 out of 5 bars, but when the wired connection is disconnected the wireless connection drops even further!

The desktop runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and has a 802.11n Ralink wireless PCI express adapter built-in. The router we use in my house is a D-link DSL 2640r (802.11g). I had an old dell laptop in the same position as my new desktop which ran fine wirelessly, so location is not the issue.

The security on the router is WPA and I've logged on to the router to try different security settings and channels to no avail. On the adapter end, I've tried to update the driver (no update found) and the roll-back option is greyed out. Several different OSs and machines in the house (including a Win7 laptop) connect fully to the wireless network but having real problems with this.

I have seen an awful lot of similar problems to this around different forums- anyone aware of a fix or at least the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance

Dominick

Advertisements

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Possibly a driver problem in your computer seeing that others are connected OK.

You could check here to see if there is a later driver for your card-
http://www.wireless-...download/ralink

Good luck.

Dom Soar

Dom Soar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your response. I will have a look into drivers when I get home, thanks.

I did try to update them using the automatic update-check option in the device's properties, does this sometimes not pick up the most recent driver?

Also, I have seen some people suggest using older drivers rather than necessarily using the latest one - is this sometimes a solution?

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi.

It is true that sometimes automatic updates do not provide the manufacturers latest. I have noticed that particularly with NVidia, but they do catch up after a while. For the latest, you should check the manufacturers site.

Manufacturers provide new drivers to fix any reported problems or cover new technology so are generally the best way to go, but as you say, sometimes an older driver may work better - but not as a general rule.

You say you have a new desktop (brand new??). If you continue to have a connection problem, I would ask the supplier to check it as there could be a fault which would be covered under warranty.