Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reset router.

• Please log in to reply

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
From what Rorschach112 says I need to reset my router. This is the one I have, F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter. Any help will be greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you said you have to reset your router but you listed a wireless adapter not a router. what exactly are you trying to do? what's the make/model of the router?

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It is a belkin wireless router. rorschach112 says I have a virus in it giving me google redirects. But there is no reset button. It is an adapter not a router.

Edited by busdrvr64, 11 June 2010 - 08:28 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have physical access to this router? you said in your malware thread that you're basically stealing your internet connection.

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
If you want to call it that. My neighbor knows about it. She's the one who told me about it. All I want is for the redirects to stop. I have had the adapter for about 3 yrs with no problems. No I dont have access to the router at the moment. She's not home.

Edited by busdrvr64, 11 June 2010 - 08:42 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the adapter has nothing to do with it. the router may have nothing to do with it, but if ror says your machine is clean then it is.

what you need to do is find the model number on the router, then google the manual for it.

in general somewhere on the router there is a reset button (often times it's red and next to where the power cord plugs in) it should say reset somewhere near it. you unplug the router then hold that button down while you plug the router back in and keep holding the button for 5 to 10 seconds after the router starts back up.

of course this resets the router back to factory defaults so all the wireless stuff will have to be set back up.

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I did google for the manual. And I read it all. There is no mention of a reset button. I even wnet on the belkin sight and searched for it but got nothing. Maybe the virus has attached itsef to my key logger. I am going to ask him if that possible.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
That is not possible and its not causing your problems.

You need to follow dsenette's instructions, once the router gets resetted your redirects will go

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
.....what? your key logger? did you mention that in your malware thread?

one way or another, you'll need physical access to the router to reset it. i'm sure there's a reset button on the router

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possibly a pin hole on the back of the router somewhere near the power cord connector.
I'm with comcast and thats how theirs is reset.

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
ys I told himI have a key logger. So you are saying to reset my neighbors router? not my adapter right? If so I will not be able to do that until this evening when sh gets home from work. And there is a reason why Ihave the logger, If you need to know I why I will pm that to you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't personally care about the keylogger, just making sure it was mentioned in the malware thread

there's no way possible (at the moment) that your adapter is directly infected (nor is there any way to "reset" the adapter)...

as an explanation of what scratch is suspecting. there are infections that will reset the DNS server settings on your router (or your neighbor's router in this case) and this will cause redirects on the internet. resetting the router will clear these settings (hopefully)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Adapters generally do not have a reset to them.
You need to reset the router. And again it is usually on the back where the power cable plugs in. It is usually a small hole and you use a paper clip or something small.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Probably a rogue DNS setting on the router.

If your neighbor is uncomfortable with resetting the router, just make sure the DNS settings are set to Auto.

Edited by diabillic, 11 June 2010 - 10:26 AM.