Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB device not recognised

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I have an old digital camera I use for ebay and it has always worked on my Vista LT. Lateley been getting the message "USB Device Not Recognised" when plugging it in. When I go to device manager it shows up as an unknown device? It also showed up the same on my other identical laptop which never had a problem with the camera before.

The camera is small digital old Olympus but that is not the issue as it already worked before. Besides, I uninstalled the camera/unknown device just now and did a total power shutdown, battery out pressing power button for 60 secs. I then rebooted without the device connected on battery alone.

As soon as I plugged it in it began installing the software for the camera but then the "USB device not recognised" came back and the device doesn’t show up in the 'My Computer' Drives section. Don’t tell me this is not a Vista issue.

HP Laptop running Windows Vista Home Edition

Edited by ding dong, 14 June 2010 - 02:58 AM.

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
:)

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
A mate of mine who does programming said that there usually is sometimes power issues with the different ports and they get confused when different applications are plugged in - I need vista answers not a camera faults section.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Don’t tell me this is not a Vista issue

So that means you won't like my initial answer.

It also showed up the same on my other identical laptop which never had a problem with the camera before.

This tells me that it is a camera issue and not a OS issue since you are telling us it fails on your other laptop. This pretty much identified the problem.

With that said, have you tried other USB ports?
Have you gone into device manager and uninstalled yhe USB ports, shut down the laptop and then re-started so the OS would re-install them?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Yes, am way ahead of you and have tried all the fixes you recommend. It is a Vista issue because it is common with Vista on Google. Besides, my wifes camera got the same response on my laptop and then I uninstalled it and it worked. I then plugged my own camera back in for fun and it worked. Then the next day it didnt work. Its random which sounds pretty much like vista getting itself confused to me.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Deleted all the usb hub list as a microsoft site suggested and rebooted but still problem exists.

So if this problem has been around on Google for years, why isnt there a fix for it or why hasn't anyone got answers for it?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Personally, instead of connecting the camera to the computer, I simply insert the camera's flash card into a USB Card Reader. They're cheap and you don't wear down your camera batteries.

For example:

Rosewill RSD-CR106 Black USB 2.0 External Single slot SD / MMC Card Reader - $5.99 with free shipping
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820223087

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
My laptop doesnt have a slot the same as the card in the camera. Why is this such a hard issue since it has been around for years?????

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Am in agreeance with one of the posters on the microsoft site who said, "It baffles me that THOUSANDS of people have this issue or some variation of it, and NO ONE at Microsoft or anywhere else for that matter offers a real solution"?

Not only that but it has been known for many years and still no simple answers which their should be....?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Someone on another site said this;
"try this. go to C: then windows, then the folder nameed inf. backup these 2 files..
usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf copy them to a folder you can access later.

download these 2 files. and replace copy them into c windows inf folder.

reboot pc. this will reset corrupted files.

Attached File(s)
usbfix.zip ( 12.09K ) Number of downloads: 2"

Did it and it worked until I removed my camera and replaced it - same ol message.

Edited by ding dong, 28 June 2010 - 08:24 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

My laptop doesnt have a slot the same as the card in the camera.

Two questions:
  • Do you have a USB port?

• What type of flash card does your camera use, (SD, MMC, etc.)?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Have several usb ports.

XD Olympus Picture Card 128mb - is whats written on the card???

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Olympus USB 2.0 xD-PictureCard Flash Memory Card Reader MAUSB-500

Posted Image

Product Description
The Olympus MAUSB-500 USB Reader/Writer can read and write images, data, audio and movies from xD-Picture cards, quickly, with its USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface. It easily plugs into the USB port on your computer and does not require batteries or AC power, since it draws power right from the USB port. The Reader/Writer is compatible with all types of xD-Picture cards (Standard, Type-M & Type-H; up to 2GB capacity) and works with both Windows and Macintosh Systems without any need for installing drivers or other software.

With this reader, you no longer have to deal with the cables or wasting your cameras battery.

$11.58 + $2.09 Shipping = $13.67

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
very good work....will consider......I still have 4 other sites working on this problem and so will see if they can come up with something.

I almost am on a mission ow as it has cost me alot of time to find out the problem...

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
See this link as they found the solution for me;

http://www.pchelpfor...html#post515751

I still dont get why the problem so common, has no ready answers like this???