Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Light Gaming Computer/Graphics Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

TheShaman

TheShaman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Light Gaming = Black and White series, Civ series, Sims, Earth 2160, online flash games

I found four laptops with everything that I require... except for a decent graphics card.

I need to know which one(s) of these, or an equivalent, can have the graphics card upgraded.

Gateway nv5453u $580
HP G71-340us Refurbished $500
Dell Inspiron i1440-2630awh $450
Asus K60IJ-RBBBR05 Refurbished $450

My personal requirements...

Laptop (not desktop)
2.1+ processor (non-AMD/Celeron/etc.)
4gb Memory
500gb Hard Drive preferable (will settle for less)
Less than $600 (before upgrade)
No Cheap Brands (Acer etc.)
Must have disc drive
Upgradability (as much as possible)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect I can blow your personal requirements out of the water in the next sentence. Laptops are not upgradable. Plus I wouldn't buy a refurbished one in any case.

TheShaman

TheShaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Someone pointed out this computer, which fits all of my requirements...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220735

I never knew that video cards were not upgradable in laptops, even though other components are. The listed computer comes with one that meets my needs though... at about the total price that I expected.

Thanks for your help :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Cheaper laptops come with intergrated graphics so not upgradable. Top of the range ones do have cards, IE Alienware M17x with GTX 260, but not sure if the card is modified to fit laptops. Such laptops will cost you a lot more money too.
Take a look at this site for reviews on top gaming laptops. http://computers.top...gaming-laptops/