Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Code 32 on a new computer

• Please log in to reply

Tiffany Nicole

Tiffany Nicole

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
"error code 32 - A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver maybe providing the functionality"
My computer is fairly new and I have never used the CD-ROM /DVD driver. I have put one CD and one DVD in and nothing happened but I didnt think nothing of it because the computer was brand new. How do i fix this problem. I did the Microsoft fixes to no avail only thing I haven't done is uninstall the driver and reinstall it or dabble in the registry and suggestions??

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

Have you gone to your Device Manager to see if the driver is working properly? If not, try this.

Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > OK

In Device Manager look for DVD/CD ROM Drive click the + sign to expand. This will tell you the name of the Drive. Right click and choose properties. Under the General tab it should tell you if the device is working properly or not, or you will see a yellow triangle that has an exclamation mark in it indicating an error to the device.

If there is a yellow triangle that has an exclamation mark in it, right click on the DVD/CD ROM Drive and uninstall it. Then reboot your computer. Windows will detect new hardware and attempt to re-install the drive, although it is recommended to get the latest driver from the manufactures site. If this is the case, go to the manufacturers site to reinstall the DVD/CD ROM Driver.

If you need guidance to the manufacturers site, please post the information found in the Device Manager.

Please keep us informed to your progress!

Donna :)

Tiffany Nicole

Tiffany Nicole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok I will try that and update you Thanx!!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome Tiffany! Keep me informed to your progress, please. :)

Edited by DonnaB, 17 June 2010 - 07:16 PM.