Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan 'smitfraud' - can't start Windows

• Please log in to reply

jane77

jane77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

I was lucky (?) enough to pick up this trojan yesterday and after reading some of the other posts on this subject, I'm pretty sure I can fix it - the problem is it seems, as a result of the virus, I can't even start my PC up.

Every time I try and boot up I get past the memory check, then get a message saying "Invalid system disc - replace disc then hit any key". I was reliably informed to change the startup sequence so it wouldn't try and boot from the CD/floppy drive. The Startup sequence includes a range of options - the CD and floppy options, HDD numbers 0-3 as well as several others (LAN, SCSI etc) - I have tried all of these and it doesn't work, I just keep geting the same message.

Is there a file missing that I can replace?

Is there any way I can stop it from trying to start up Windows and remove the virus from outside of that? (btw, have tried repeatedly hitting F8 to startup in safe but doesn't work either).

Or do I need to get hold of a Windows 98 disc, and if so, will I lose everything by reinstalling WIN 98?

Many thanks and great appreciation for any advice you can provide.

Cheers,

Jane.

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
YOu need to boot off the boot disk and then "fdisk /mbr

this will re-write your boot sector

If you need a boot disk go to www.bootdisk.com

Post back ASAP

jane77

jane77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks John_Doe! I should be able to obtain a boot disk locally - I'm in Australia so it's a long way to post one!

Erm - excuse my ignorance - but can you just confirm for me when I type in the fdisk/mbr...?

Cheers and thanks again,

Jane.

***edited*** Oops, just took a better look at the site and realised I can download and save the boot disk info, rather than having a hard copy sent to me - duh! (*smacks self on forehead*).

Edited by jane77, 22 May 2005 - 09:49 PM.

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
fdisk /mbr
is to re-write the boot sector
make sure when you type fdisk /mbr you put a space between fdisk and /mbr

If this doesnt work, post back and lets talk about other options
www.bootdisk.com has a program that you run and then put a floppy in the A drive and it copies files to make it a bootable disk for that OS

Also make sure in your BIOS setting your first boot device is your floppy better known as your A Drive, then you can select to boot from you CDROM or HDD

Good Luck

Edited by John_Doe, 22 May 2005 - 11:16 PM.