Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble scanning and sending

• Please log in to reply

Dan F

Dan F

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good day. I have windows xp sp3. I am using a Epson 1260 scanner to scan documents. I would like to e-mail the edit the documents and then e-mail them. I use firefox and yahoo for e-mail. I have scanned the documents and saved thm to my decktop so I can find them. When I go to attach the doc to an e-mail, the reply is Ouch, there's a problem attaching document.rtf
I have scanned the doc and it show as a file on the desktop. I then tried copying the file to wordpad where it shows as a document and attaching but that didn't work either.
Any help is appreciated

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
When you save your scanned document save it in the .JPEG format instead of the .rtf format.

.rtf is a format that is specific to your scanner program and is unreadable by most other programs (as email programs or wordpad ect).

Hope that helps

Dan F

Dan F

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Will that allow me to edit the save file also?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
.JPEG id most common and used format so you should have no problem editing your scanned documents.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Just a few days ago I got a call to say they could not attached a file to a email,
Turned out they made a shortcut to the file (without the arrow) and tired to attached the shortcut instead of the real file.

To scan a doc and later edit it you must use a OCR program, start the Epson control panel up and use Scan to OCR.

Use this application to scan and convert images to text. The converted text can be saved or sent to a word processor. For details, click the Smart Panel Help icon.

Edit the doc in your word processor save as .txt or copy and paste into your email.

.rtf is a basic word program I would have thought It would take it.

.jpg is a picture format, you will not able to edit this in word processor

How large is the file as some email programs have a limit as to how large a file it will handle

Dan F

Dan F

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I scanned the pages again as jpeg then tried to attach and send but it still would not let me attach the file. I have 9 pages that are about 900 KB each. I tried them one at a time but that didn't work either.
Next I will try the scan to OCR. What is OCR?
Currently my computer only has the note pad and word pad installed.
Thanks for the help.
Daniel

Dan F

Dan F

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, I tryed zipping the jpeg files to see if I could then attach them. That didn't work.
I scanned the pages again scan to OCR. Then when I got to the end of the process, OCR has encountered a problem and must shut down.
I'll try it again later.
Thanks for the hekp.
Daniel

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Are you trying to scan a document for it to be an image after or something else.

I never heard of an email program not being able to attach a jpeg image to a message.

Unless i am not understanding what you are trying to do?

Dan F

Dan F

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It's just a contact list for my class reunion. 8 pages with names and addresses. I'm trying to send it to another classmate. I don't think it should be so hard to do but I'm a mechanical type, not a computer type.
Thanks for the help