Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't boot in safe mode... not at all anymore

• Please log in to reply

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes, that is what i mean

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the edit function is not, sadly, part of the recovery console.

You can, however, see your boot.in using the type command.

from the c: prompt, type

cd .. (note space)
type boot.ini

write it all down, then post back the contents.

what we will do is create a new boot.ini on a floppy disk in a working computer, then copy that over after renaming your old boot.ini

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i tried to go back to the prompt via the 6 floppy disk set windows xp sp2 had me make and i received a message like this upon loading the 2nd disk:

file \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
error code is 7

without a prompt, there is little more that i can think of than to buy a new hard drive and a new version of windows so i can at least recover the material i have on the old drive.

more ideas?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Sal, redo that floppy andtry again, ive seen that error b4, i think its a bad floppy or corrupted info on the floppy.

sjbeeny

sjbeeny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had this happen to me in the past. It drove me nuts but in the end I discovered you can change the boot.ini on the windows xp cd
from the repair console.

if you still need help, say and I will post details of how to do it.

I cant remember off the top of my head, so I will only check if your still having problems.

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks everyone for your help, but apparently in the endless boot cycle, my hard drive fried itself. i had to buy a new hard drive, and then i had to go get new recovery discs from sony to reinstall windows.

btw... instead of buying a computer i suggest building it with parts that actually have good warranties on them.
this little experience of calling sony and seagate and best buy has left me so ticked off i never want to have to deal with it again.