Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\1d7aa0c217d10ae021692a284ead

• Please log in to reply

espionne4

espionne4

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please Help! I have this folder, C:\1d7aa0c217d10ae021692a284ead, msxml4-KB927978-enu-notepad, on my computer. I read that this was an update that did not update fully, but end of code reads: MSI (s) (00:BC) [11:34:04:703]: Product: MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) -- Installation completed successfully.

I found this also in my add/remove programs and tried the "repair" buton but it said "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. enter an alternative path to a folder containg the installation package 'msxml.msi' in the box below."

I did a search of all folders/files for msxml.msi, but found nothing. What do I do? delete folder and remove from add/remove or what??

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you experiencing issues with something? are you having errors?

espionne4

espionne4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
computer hasn't been right for awhile. system restore doesn't fix it. I frequently had gotten 'not a WIN32 application' or 'installer corrupt' when trying to load updates - wouldn't let me upload a game from disc and now my microsoft word (which I've had and used regularly for years) wants me to register it, but won't let me go through the registration. "fix" button in add/remove didn't work for that either.

Edited by espionne4, 15 June 2010 - 03:27 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The random folders and filenames will simply have a text file in them, msxl4 something or other. They can be purged if you wish, they're just text files. Seems to be a strange issue with this particular update and Windows XP - I saw a machine the other day that had, ooh, 127 folders of this type?

With regards to Word, it's asking for the CD. When it asks about MSI files, feed it your Office CD.

espionne4

espionne4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
tried CD twice now - fixed problem in Excel (I was getting the same message to register) but has not fixed it in Word. When I click on 'get more info' button it takes me to a site that tells me my software is not original (it certainly is)and leaves me hanging there.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Those long random folders are created by Windows Update.

As for those "Win32 is not a valid app" messages, I would try to run sfc /scannow from the command line. If that doesnt fix it, could be malware related.