Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible virus issue?

• Please log in to reply

mindydee113

mindydee113

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I went to bed last night & my computer was fine. I woke up & it's a complete mess! :) I don't know what happened. :) I turned it on this morn & it would not boot up. I would get to a black screen that said something to the effect of "windows was having trouble starting please try one of the following....safe mode, last known good configuration, blah, blah, blah." i tried every option & could not get computer to boot. Finally, I put the Windows XP starter CD in the CD drive and clicked on, boot from disk, then R for repair. I ran CHKDSK & boom, the computer was able to start up after that. (I didn't really know what I was doing in the recovery console repair sector, I just copied something I had read off the net.)

So now the computer will start up but that is about it. I have no more network connection. The blue wireless light will no longer come one. I cannot do a system restore, not even in safe mode (it says "system restore is not able to protect your computer. please restart your computer & run system restore again" but this does not work.) I cannot run MBAM as it gives me a "runtime error 372". I did run SUPERAntiSpyware free edition, but all it found was tracking cookies. I also ran Malicious software removal tool but that found nothing. Is this some kind of virus? I will freely admit I did download a movie off of Pirate Bay torrent sharing site. Is this dangerous? could that be the cause of my problem? I do have access to another computer. A netbook running windows 7 (mine is a laptop running XP). I know sometimes people download programs from one computer and put them on a flash drive or external hard drive & run them on the problem computer. I do have both of those items, flash & external but am not sure how to download onto one from computer 1 to run onto computer 2. I also mentioned that I have the original windows xp operating system CD if I need to go that route. I am hoping to avoid a clean install as I don't want to loose everything. I do have a bunch of stuff saved on the external hard drive but didn't get everything on there that I wanted to. Procrastinating on my part! :) Any help I can get would be appreciated. It seems right now I have nothing but a big ole paperweight that I once got much use out of! :)

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,mindydee113, and welcome to Geeks to go !

Since this problem appears to be Malware related please follow all directions
here

zep516

mindydee113

mindydee113

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
went threw all the steps in your reply. took awhile, but I finally finished, sort of. had a problem with one of the steps. ran TLC & ERUNT no problem. when i got to MBAM is where i got hung up. i already had MBAM on my computer but obviously it wouldn't let me run it. i downloaded it again from another computer and put it onto external hard drive, then loaded hard drive to infected computer. i changed the name of mbam setup.exe to something else. was able to install mbam but once i tried to run it, i got an error. i tried to run in safe mode as well, with no luck, same error....."run time error 372 failed to load control 'vbalgrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx. your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application." so that is that. i did run SUPERAntiSpyware, which i already had on my computer, but that is not showing any infection. yeah right!

logs removed

i will now post a second reply with the rest of the steps and logs.

Edited by Artellos, 16 June 2010 - 01:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please start a new topic in the malware forum and include all logs requested there. We do not allow those logs outside of the malware forum and can offer no assistance here with the infection issue. The malware techs will help you there. If after they have declared you clean and if the issue is still happening then return here and we will continue from our side.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Mindydee113,

Please post in the Malware forum, not in here. Thank you :)

Regards,
Olrik

mindydee113

mindydee113

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
the last step was OTL and the following are the 2 logs that were shown.....

log removed

I will anxiously be awaiting further instructions to try and get rid of this pain in my behind virus! oh yeah, i should mention that i also ran all 4 versions of rkill before trying to run MBAM. i was told that would help kill the malware & let MBAM run it's scan, but this did not work either. thanks!

Edited by Artellos, 16 June 2010 - 01:18 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Just to make sure you didn't miss our post, You will need to post in the malware forum, not here. We can't help you with your logs here as we are not allowed to do so in the tech section.

Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Olrik

mindydee113

mindydee113

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
sorry will post logs in malware forum. thought i was supposed to return to my original post. my bad. :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
No worries. :) If you are having issues AFTER you kill the malware you are free to return here though. But malware should be dealt with in the malware forum. Thank you :)

Regards,
Olrik