Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microphone Issue

• Please log in to reply

GXLZPGX

GXLZPGX

• Pip
  • 8 posts
**NOTE: THIS IS A HEADSET COMBINATION**
**NOTE: IT IS NOT A USB HEADSET**

Alright, so I've checked everything I know about. I've plugged the microphone into the right spot. I've right clicked the tiny speaker in the bottom right corner and selected "Open Volume Control." After that, I clicked Options and then Properties. I looked, and my microphone IS checked in the "Recording" part of it, and is NOT muted in the "Playback" part of it. Now I believe my microphone used to show up in the dropdown menu. Right now, there is only one item in the drop-down menu:

Posted Image

The earphones seem to work fine when I plug them in. Thank you in advance for your help.

Edit: The microphone is by General Electric (GE):

GE PC Stereo Headset - 98960

Its a cheap one :)

Edited by GXLZPGX, 15 June 2010 - 09:08 PM.

Advertisements

GXLZPGX

GXLZPGX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Could still use the help guys.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi there GXLZPGX have you tried this;
Go to Start | Control Panel | Audio Devices (While in classic mode). Go to the Audio tab and make sure that the microphone is selected. If it is plugged into a microphone port on the computer, select the correct sound card. Then hit the Volume button. Check the box to select the port that it is in. Also, make sure the Microphone is plugged into the right port. It should be pugged into a pink port, or one with a microphne symbol next to it. Don't use a line in port, because that is for stereo cables coming from other devices eg ipod.Also when you check that the mic is not muted make sure the recording volume slider is turned up.
Good luck

GXLZPGX

GXLZPGX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm on Windows XP so my control panel is a bit different.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
My apologies im on my laptop which is vista :)
A quick check you can do is go to start/contol panel/sounds and audio properties/audio/sound recording/click right button and select show desabled device, if its there enable it & again
make sure its not muted & the volume slider is turned up.
A comprehensive guide to installing a mic in xp should you need it can be found below;good luck

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306537