Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen resolution issues

• Please log in to reply

radarbugs

radarbugs

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i have a pavillion a1720n desktopp that i am running an ATI all in wonder graphics card in it and i have aCTL lcd 22inch monitor running windows 7 professional. i can leave the machine on and it will go to screensaver ok but then when i wake it up, the resoltion will be different. it is at 1360x1240 now and the round clock gadget on the desktop looks like an oval, then after a little while, i can com back to it and the clock will be round and smaller. dont know if it is the graphic card or windows. when it looks good, the resolution is on a seeting that is not in the choice bar. very strange, any ideas?
thanks,
radar :)

Advertisements

GXLZPGX

GXLZPGX

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I know ATI Graphics cards come with the Catalyst Driver, and you can change various settings etc. Is it running? Bottom right if its running. Should be a red box with white text that says ATI.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Try switching the screensaver off, while they look very nice they can be a pest.

when it looks good, the resolution is on a seeting that is not in the choice bar. very strange, any ideas?

This is because different gfx cards are capable of supporting different maximum settings & it would be almost if not impossible to list them all in the default options, what suits you settings wise may not suit somebody else so it comes down to personal preference really.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Just to note that the screen saver uses as much power as showing the desktop. Set your screen to sleep, say after 10 or 15 minuets.

radarbugs

radarbugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks for all the good info, i will check to see if the card is running and will also turn off screensaver. am at work now. will check it out when i get home.
you guys really are geeks.lol i mean that in a good way.
thanks again,
radar

GXLZPGX

GXLZPGX

• Pip
  • 8 posts

thanks for all the good info, i will check to see if the card is running and will also turn off screensaver. am at work now. will check it out when i get home.
you guys really are geeks.lol i mean that in a good way.
thanks again,
radar

Also, if your running a computer with multiple graphics cards installed, they might be interacting with one another.

Edited by GXLZPGX, 16 June 2010 - 01:40 PM.

radarbugs

radarbugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
if the internal graphic card is enabled how do i make it stop working? the graphic hardware that came with the machine cant be removed as far as i can see. would i need to track down the power to it and disconnect it or is that something i do from the control panel?
:)
thanks
radar

radarbugs

radarbugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i am running a Q-SEE Super DVR pci card for home security. it newver mattered before. i wonder if that is interacting with something and screwing me up.
radar

radarbugs

radarbugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am also using Driver Detective to keep drivers updated. the All In Wonder is up to date.
radar

radarbugs

radarbugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey iammykyl, does the toilet really flush counterclockwise down there or is someone yankin' me crank?lol
radar

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yup.
Same with water down the plughole and the moss grows on the southside of trees.

radarbugs

radarbugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i would love to visit someday. lot of cool people and places in Australia i hear. want to go to amsterdam next year.
thanks
radar

radarbugs

radarbugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i got the other card disabled, works fine now. also set the screensaver to sleep. its bloody well working ok now. thanx dudes.
radar :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Congratulations on resolving your display issues :)
Thank you for letting us know the issue was now resolved &
for allowing GTG to help :)

Have you tried having the screen saver active since disabling
the other gfx card?