Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 64-bit Ultimate - Bit Locker questions

• Please log in to reply

KenPC

KenPC

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I bought a new HP i5 core laptop and upgraded to Win 7 64-bit Ultimate which has the "bit locker" feature. When I tried to re-partition the 279 GB hard disk (my C drive) Win 7 would only let me shrink it down to about 146GB (for the C drive) even though there is only about 35 GB of used space (applications) which then left me about 132 GB for a new G drive (the other drive letters are used for recovery image space and the DVD drive).

I was hoping to end up with the C drive being around 80 GB and the new G drive around 200 GB so that I could then apply "bit locker" to the new G drive to secure my data files (the application programs are standard Microsoft stuff, so those do not need to be secured). Anyway, when I tried to secure the new G drive, bit locker would not do anything with the G drive and only wanted to secure the C drive. So I gave up and deleted the G drive and then put all of the space back into the C drive (so it is all back to the way it was before I started all of this).

So ... my questions are: (1) is there a way to use Win 7 bit locker on a non-C drive? and (2) how can I partition my hard drive into 2 drives of about 80GB and 200GB?

Advertisements