Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Strange Internet

• Please log in to reply

lawl3r

lawl3r

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For like the past week I have been getting mini lag spikes in one of my favorite games. For example, id be running and it lags for about 5 seconds then goes back to normal. My ping goes up to the 100s to 150s when its normally at around 20-30. Im not sure if its my internet or me, but I dont think that its me.I reformated twice and scanned for viruses/spyware alot but nothing shows up.I have power cycled my modem like a hundred times and even reinstalled the game multiple times.I dont know what is going on, I even called my isp ( charter ) and they cant even figure it out they told me to call microsoft..I have a fairly good computer too and its never done this before. Does anyone have this problem or know of any solutions or tweaks I can do? Im not connected to a router either.

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
From my understanding, the more people connected to the cable line, then the system will bogg down. Perhaps that is what you are experiencing, or just get a new modem. My grandmother was experiencing slow internet, they replaced the modem even tho it worked and bam!! its high speed again

lawl3r

lawl3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How do you get a new one? Just ask them for one?

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
You can start there. but they be hesitant to give you a replacement since they will state, "its working now"

Explain to them its a "intermitance problem" and replace the modem. If they dont, I think you have a couple of options, I think you can buy your own cable modem or you can fire them. If they gave you the thing, I would threaten to take my business elsewhere if they dont try and help resolve this issue.

Since your using Charter, let me know, cause I have a friend that is a manager/supervisor for that company.

If you have to send me a PM

Good Luck

lawl3r

lawl3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just replaced my modem today..I have literally tried everything and i still cant find the source of the problem!!

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I've been having intermittent slow internet browsing the last few days. I'm using cable and just today I disabled and then re-enabled my local area connection. Wow! What a difference. I'm traveling at warp speed now........

lawl3r

lawl3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That didnt work.. :tazz: