Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleteing Remaining Files

• Please log in to reply

HalYurAznPal

HalYurAznPal

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey, guys so recently I had some virus problems and thanks to some help from guys on this site it has all been fixed. The thing is I deleted my user account because I couldn't even work with it at the time. So now I'm just trying to delete the remaining files because the account still shows up in My Computer under Users. The problem is the computer keeps saying I don't have permission to because the deleted account was an administrator account.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Advertisements

Pcs365

Pcs365

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The MAIN Local Administrator account created when XP is installed cannot be deleted, however I believe the user account you are talking about is the User account you created for yourself, which is an Admin account by default. And there is also an account with Limited Settings.

The built-in Administrator account is hidden from Welcome Screen when a user account with Administrator privileges exists and enabled. In Windows XP Home Edition, you can login as built-in Administrator in Safe Mode only. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.

To have the Administrator account displayed in the Welcome Screen, try one of these methods:

Manual registry edit:
* Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
* Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList

* Use the File, Export option to backup the key
* Create a new DWORD Value named Administrator
* Double-click Administrator, and set 1 as its data
* Exit the Registry Editor.

And please check this aswell and see If anything help's, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition:

The Administrator account is not displayed in User Accounts unless the computer is in Safe mode. To change the password for the Administrator account:

1. Click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and then click Restart.
2. After the computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), press F8, and then click Safe mode.

NOTE: If you have difficulty getting to the Safe mode menu command, press F8 repeatedly after you turn on the computer.
3. Log on as an Administrator, or with another account that has Administrator permissions.
4. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
5. Click the Administrator icon.
6. Click Create a Password or Change my password.
7. Type a password for the account, and then retype the password to confirm it.
8. Type a hint to help you remember the password in the event that you forget it.
9. Click Create Password or Change Password.

HalYurAznPal

HalYurAznPal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello and thanks for the reply.

I am currently running Vista, should the advice above still work?