Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something is wrong I need help with downloads of updates after install

• Please log in to reply

callon

callon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry for the long post...............
A week ago my laptop hard drive crashed. I called hp they did diagnostics and said they would send me a new hard drive to me in the mail due to I only have had this laptop less than 2 months. They sent me the hard drive. I then installed vista ultimate 64 on the computer. I made a 80 gig partition for the hard drive. then the rest of the hard drive seperate. Then I got on the internet. I called hp because in device manager the realtek ethernet nic had a yellow exclamation mark and when I clicked it it said (this device isn't working and can not start code 10) and I told them after a fresh install the numbers were not the same, when I bought the laptop I went into device manager to see all the drivers and wrote all the names down. The driver I previously had was real tek 8102e/8103e. The one that was in there after a fresh install was real tek 8101. So I was on the internet anyway but needed that fixed so they gave me the download and that was fixed. I started to get downloads from hp for software drivers as far as Sound, wireless broadcom, hp wireless touch keys etc.) Well upon trying to download these on internet explorer it was very very very slow. so I installed firefox and they were still very slow. One file real tek was a 5.0 mb file it took over 22 minutes to download, the other idt sound 24.8 mb file took over 43 minutes to download and I keep trying to install graphics drivers ati graphics and it is 113 mb file and when I am trying to download it it says it will take 2 hours and 13 minutes to download. I keep starting to download it and about 40 minutes into the install it stops and says it timed out? Should these downloads take this long to download? I dont think so as I have done this before on other computers and it has never been this slow? I even went on hp support assistant in my programs and it found the same ati driver needed to be installed and 20 to 30 minutes later same thing it couldn't install it. I also went to pc pitstop to do tests they will not load at all and it says most likely due to no windows updates installed yet. My problem is if these small files take forever to download windows files will take days LOL.... I started windows update about 2 hours ago and it says 129 files will be download and it is only at 15 percent 2 hours later... Please help. In my profile it says what computer I have but I dont know if you can see that so i will post again right here: I have a hp dv4 1427nr entertainment notebook, amd turion x2 dual core mobile rm 75 2.20 ghz 4gb memory 64 bit harddrive 298 gig Thank you again sorry for the long post........REVISED AFTER 2 HOURS i RECIEVED (2) ERROR MESSAGES ON UPDATES:
error codes 80070020 I googled it and most say turn anti virus software off (I dont have any antivirus software?)
other code: 80071a90 I googled it no solution? Any Ideas?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Are you connected wired or wirelessly? If wireless, try wired and see if it's any faster.