Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy Windows Issues - PLEASE HELP! 911!

• Please log in to reply

creativeamp68

creativeamp68

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently encountered some issues with my computer that I have NO CLUE as to where they're coming from.

1- Sometimes on startup, I will get an odd error beep (like a wrong answer on a quiz show) and an error message stating something like: "BIOS Checksum error. Please insert system disk into Drive a:"

2- On startup, I have to start my computer THREE TIMES before it finally boots Windows. The first two times, I get the pre-boot screen checking the memory and then either a) the computer gives me a black screen or b) the computer locks up on the memory test.

3- My cd writer has for some inexplicable reason just stopped working. I was burning discs fine not two days ago, but not I get a "could not write to disc" error message everytime I've tried to burn a disc. I've used three different blank discs on different file folders on my computer to test out if it was just one section of my computer messing up, but none of them tests worked.

4- My System Restore has stopped opening.

I have tried the Windows run command "sfc /scannow" to see if I could patch up some of the holes and have tried re-installing the drivers that came with the computer, but neither of these have fixed the issues.

I'm not the most tech-savvy person, so any help with these issues in laymen's terms would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much!
creativeamp68

Edited by creativeamp68, 22 May 2005 - 09:51 PM.

Advertisements