Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Operating System (no Other Install)

• Please log in to reply

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
my computer has NT 4.0 workstation and i hated it so i bought XP and put it on but i wasnt ready to format my old hardrive so i kept both on. it worked for a little bit but now everytime i go on it will say that it will restart in a minute and then mentions NT security, and i think that NT thinks this is a foreign program and is closing it so i cant use it. i dont think i wanna install XP again yet, but i wanna get rid of the security thing so i can keep NT for a little bit longer. Also my NT Operating system is on my C drive and my XP is on the d drive. I want to find a way to put my XP on my c drive and transfer the memory that i can hold on my d drive to my c drive (my d drive can hold so much more), is there anyway to get rid of the d drive after also and still keep the memory to it

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Is this your message?

System Shutdown

This system is shutting down. Please save all
work in progress and log off. Any unsaved
changes will be lost. This shutdown was
initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Time before shutdown: 00:00:31

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service
terminated unexpectedly

If so, you've been infected with the Blaster Worm. You can download a removal tool click here. More info click here.

TO STOP YOUR COMPUTER FROM DISCONNECTING WHILE YOU’RE TRYING TO DOWNLOAD:

Go to ‘Start’, then ‘Run’. Enter ‘shutdown –a’. (Type ‘shutdown’, then hit your spacebar once, then ‘-‘, followed immediately by the letter ‘a’). When you’re online, and the ’60 second disconnect’ box pops up, go to ‘start’ and ’run’ and hit ‘OK’. This will keep you connected to the Internet so you can complete your download. *This command will work more than once, so if the ’60 second disconnect’ box pops up again, just repeat the ‘start’,’ run’ and ‘OK’ commands to stay connected.

Are your C: and D: drives partitions on one hard drive, or are they actually two hard drives?

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
O thank you for the blaster worm help!, do u know how i would get that virus? the c and d drive i believe are on the same hard drive

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can get the Blaster Worm by just being connected to the Internet. To prevent infection make sure to download and install all crital updates from Windows Update, and install a firewall (especially if your using broadband cable or DSL). If you have Windows XP enable it's built-in firewall, or download a free firewall from ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

You'll need to purchase additional software (like Partition Magic) to be able to resize your paritions without losing data.

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
ok well i think that would be fine i was also tryin to do a couple things but they dont seem to work.

i would like to:
1. remove NT and format the c drive, (my XP is on my d drive)
2. Move my Windows XP system onto the c drive after it is formated

i dont know where to start or how to do it. i already moved the files i want to keep to my d drive and then will try to format my c drive. i waz wondering if this is possible (the stuff above) to do

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Probably the best way would be to boot your computer using the XP CD, delete your Windows directory from drive D, and perform a clean install on drive C. Of course, this means you'll lose all your Windows settings, and have to reinstall all your programs when finished. <_<

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
wow you would hate my computer... i tried to format the c drive and it wouldnt let me saying that the computer could not complete the format. Also my computer wont pick up the cd drive during boot up. the only thing i can get at boot up is the A:\ when i put in a boot disk. i could not also get that blaster virus off yet because i guess the product wont work. What i think i wanna do is maybe format both the drives (something i already wanted to do) and that would get rid of everything haha, but the problem is since the computer wont pick up the cd at boot up i waz wondering if there is anything to do if i can get access to the A:\ when i put it in at startup

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Update... i removed the blaster worm virus (thank you for your help on that i would have never guessed it to be a virus) and i think i found a way to move my d drive and c drive together. i went under control panel, administrator tools, computer mangement, and then disk management, then i highlighted my d drive, right clicked and then hit change drive letters and path. it then would highlight the c drive name and give me 3 choices to add change or remove and i guess it u hit change it would move the 2 together, i have not done it yet because i dont know if that is the right thing to do and i am waiting for ur response regarding my last 2 posts, thanks again

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
frist thing we need to find out is if you have one or two hard drives you can find this out by checking your hardware settings in Xp.
1) right click on my computer on desk top.
2) In the drop down list click on properties (an other window will popup)
3) Click on hardware tab
4) Click on device manager (an other window will popup)
5) click on the plus sign next to disk drives.
How many drives are list there? If you post what its there we can tell you if its one drive or two drives
Then we can help you on getting your drive or drives format and set up the way you would like them
<_<

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
ahh ok i get what ur saying. i belive i have one harddrive cause its on the same partion i belive, but this is what the my computer thing said i had...."WDC WD205BA" and thats it, so i guess its on the same drive, i just want to get both formated and have them combine into 1 drive then load back on my operating system. the problem i have is that the computer wont pick up my cd-rom drive at start up so the best i can do is put in the boot disk and either start the XP setup or get the A:\...........................................................................ALSO on my other computer, during start up a window will pop up and say files not found... and then give me an option to browse for files, and i dn what im looking for. i just want to get that off from my start up... i really appretiate all the help im recieving from this site. it is the best site by far that i have encountered and already have spread the word with my big mouth and im sure you will be getting more visits by the day............ please respond soon about my problems <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Click Here and follow the instructions <_<

Delete both your partitions and create one new one. Instead of booting from CD, use your boot disk to enter Windows setup. :D

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
so this is what i have to do....

put in the boot disk
after that starts up put in xp disk
start a new installation
click d when it gives me a partion
then when it deletes is totally it will give me the 2nd partion (my c drive probably)
delete the c drive
then create a new drive
the go through format drives if nessasary
then through regular XP setup

i have about 20 gigs of stuff i want to keep on my computer and dont know a way to move it on besides buying a portable harddrive and im trying to stay away from that... is there anyway to move it through the internet or move portions of it?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wow! 20 gigs, is a lot of data. You only need to backup data you've created, software (programs) can be reinstalled from their setup disks.

If you have 20gb's of data, you'll either have to back it up to CD's, or purchase an additional hard drive. It's not practical to transfer that amount of data over the Internet, and it would also be expensive for that amount storage and bandwidth.

edit: FYI, you will lose all data from both partitions when they're deleted, so if you want to keep your data, you're correct to back it up. <_<

Edited by admin, 25 January 2004 - 01:53 PM.

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
ahh i get it, i think ill wait for when we get our new router and just send it to the other computer, i have just one more question lol, when ever i start up the computer a box will pop up and say "files not found" and then give me a browse button to search for something... i dn what im looking for? how would i get rid of that from starting up during my boot... also my computer is unusually thin and no regular size computer internal CD-rw/DVD-rw drives would fit in it. i waz wondering if a labtop drive would go into it because they are almost the exact same size by the naked eye.. if i did put one in ,would i be able to (internal, IDE cable probably)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

ahh i get it, i think ill wait for when we get our new router and just send it to the other computer

Actually, you don't need a hub to connect two computers, you can just use a crossover cable. Most computer stores should carry them in stock.

i waz wondering if a labtop drive would go into it because they are almost the exact same size by the naked eye

I doubt a laptop CD-ROM would work, you may require a half height drive. But so we can be sure, what's the make and model of your computer?

i have just one more question lol, when ever i start up the computer a box will pop up and say "files not found" and then give me a browse button to search for something

Does it ask for any specific file name? You can modify the programs loading at startup by clicking Start, Run, and typing msconfig. Click the startup tab. If you'd like assistance, Click Here for instructions on creating a startup list with Hijack This.