Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extracting data from a dead laptop

• Please log in to reply

WMXX

WMXX

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
A few days ago, I attempted to boot a Dell XPS M1530 with no success (didn't load BIOS, whirred for a few seconds and then died down unlike its normal boot pattern). I've conceded that this laptop has died after previously getting NLS data errors constantly when booting up.

As a result, I'm looking to salvage the hard drive but some what confused to how to do this myself. I've come across some products advertised as "external HDD enclosures" which to my interpretation essentially turns an internal HDD into an external HDD. Is this the case?

If it is any help, I have a Samsung HM250JI HDD.

Cheers!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
VANTEC NexStar TX NST-210S2-BK Aluminum 2.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure - $9.99 Free Shipping*
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817392032

?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Or, you can get something similar (depending on drive type) to this Notebook to IDE Hard Drive Adapter. In this way, you can install the notebook drive as a secondary (not boot) drive in to a PC, then copy your data off.

WMXX

WMXX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The desktop at home is an absolute wasteland and I plan to avoid using that so I would prefer to have this HDD (SATA) converted into an external hard drive.

Would something like this be adequate?:

http://ht.com.au/par...-USB/detail.hts

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yes, according to the posted specifications it should work.

WMXX

WMXX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just fixed it up with the above enclosure and I'm relieved that it does work. Thanks for your help guys!
:)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the followup!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip