Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

looking for some help with my pc

• Please log in to reply

bad2682

bad2682

• Pip
  • 8 posts
my pc will power up and beep at me 4 time and i get no pic the first is a long beep and then there are 3 short ones i have removed all the memor, one stick at a time an that didnt help so i tryed to remove one video card and than the other try'd a dif hard drive and still does the same thing powers up no pic and beeps at me the rig built 3months ago all came from newegg and some other places

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi bad2682 :)

Beep Code: Description of Problem:
No Beeps Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
One Beep Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
Two Beeps POST/CMOS Error
One Long Beep, One Short Beep Motherboard Problem
One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps Video Problem
One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps Video Problem
Three Long Beeps Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps Memory Error
Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps CPU Overheating

Indicatios are it is a video card issue.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Which motherboard and BIOS version?

(When it comes to beep codes, motherboard/BIOS manufacturers do not observe any standard).

bad2682

bad2682

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58

HIS H585F1GDG Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 have 2 running in cross fire

i have tried to remove them one at a time and then restart the comp samthing with all the memory and i have found lots of sites that say differnt thing about the beeping one says memory than the next will say bad mother board then one will say video card problem i guess i just dont know what my next step is in tring to fix the problem other than buying another 3G in pc parts

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Is the RAM you're using on ASUSTeK's Qualified Vendor List for that motherboard?

http://www.asus.com/...=specifications

(Under "Memory/Device Support")

bad2682

bad2682

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK57009340

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Don't know about the trailing "57009340" but the "OCZ3G1600LV6GK" portion is on the list.

Do you, or anyone you know, have any other compatible RAM and/or video card you could try?

Without knowing what BIOS and version there's no telling what the "one long, three short beeps" is trying to tell you.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps Video Problem

If its listed anywhere, it generally does not matter what bios version. It would be better if we knew though.

Hook up the very basics, a "bench test":

* Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
* Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
* Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
* Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
* Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
* Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
* Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have a onboard speaker
* Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
* Power the system on

DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above.

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick. Are you getting any kind of beep codes? Do you get any video? Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS for your motherboard) Do the fans remain on, but no video?

bad2682

bad2682

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok will try this today when kids go to the swimming pool

bad2682

bad2682

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok did a bench test still the same thing could it be the power supply in not working right ? not giving the video cards the right volts to high or to low ??

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
a website you can use for diagnostics.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/cpu_ram.htm

SRX660