Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating issue

• Please log in to reply

zomgzerg

zomgzerg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone,

I just built my first rig this weekend and I think my processor is overheating. I haven't done anything on the computer except install Win7 ultimate, but my computer is crashing at random intervals. I was able to watch a few movies on it last night after a couple crashes, but this morning I can't even turn the thing on without it getting too hot.

- processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
- mobo: MSI P43-C51 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm using the stock cooling/heating that came with the processor, but I've got a total of 5 fans in my case (which I think are pointed the right way :)). Whenever I boot up into windows, some software that came with my motherboard comes up and tells me that my processor is getting too hot (80-82 C!!) and starts to force a shutdown. I don't know if I've inadvertently changed something or somehow have used MSI's "DOT" to enable some kind of overclocking...

Anyway, here's some monitoring information I pulled out of my BIOS:

CPU Smart FAN Target [55 C]
CPU Min.FAN Speed(%) [87.5]

----- PC Health Status -----
CPU Temperature [82 C / 179 F]
System Temperature [25 C / 77 F]
CPU FAN Speed [1950 RPM]
SYS FAN 1 Speed [0 RPM]
CPU Vcore [1.144 V]
3.3V [3.376 V]
5V [5.129 V]
12V [12.144 V]

If I go to this hardware monitor in my BIOS as soon as I turn the computer on, I can watch the CPU Temperature go from ~55 to 82 at a rate of ~1 degree/sec. Am I missing something? I noticed SYS FAN 1 speed was 0 RPM (and there's nothing plugged into my SYS FAN 1 slot) but I don't see any other cords on the heatsink.

Really hoping someone here can help! I'll be happy to provide any additional details.

Many thanks

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Did you apply thermal compound (such as Artic Silver) between the heatsink and CPU?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Did you apply thermal compound (such as Artic Silver) between the heatsink and CPU?

Did you remember to plug the fan header in? OK, obviously you remembered to. Is the HSF secured tightly?
And SpywareDr, there is TIM already on the base, though it wouldn't hurt to get some MX-3 or MX-2 to replace the normal TIM.

Edited by mkau, 21 June 2010 - 11:41 AM.