Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox is deadly slow with facebook

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Alright, Since I am the resident computer "genius" in the house I am always called/contacted first before anyone else. So my mother is constantly on facebook at night playing games from the zynga network (ie Farmville etc). Recently (past few months but getting worse) during loading the games would get slower, playing the game would be alot slower. Eventually it just stopped loading.

I loaded Google Chrome on the computer and the games worked briefly then stopped again. So now both Google Chrome and FireFox both will not load facebook zynga games. Next step, I say try IE 8 (preinstalled from Win7 HP) And low and behold it worked and it was alot faster than Firefox and chrome was.

Alright Computer background.

Intel Celeron D 3.66ghz w/ 1gb of DDR2 ram, ATI Radeon HD 4650 PCI-E, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Firefox has the following addons
Adstop plus
Xmarks
Sxipper

Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 8 has none.

Some on hand testing I found the following. When in Firefox and loading Farmville the ram usage will jump from less than 100mb to over 600+mb of ram cosumed just in loading farmville. Keep in mind that it is using over half of the ram and must use page file for most of it.

Last Thoughts,

I wish I could upgrade the ram to 4gb but I don't have the funds to do so right now. So at 1gb is what is at. And on average on my desktop (in sig) when FF is been running for 5+days straight, it will sit at about 760-1000mb consumed. Is this common with FF now??? Consuming more and more ram?

Any thoughts???

Last Issue.

For some reason only the her user account is slow in Windows 7 as well. I have Norton 360 on the computer to help keep it virus / malware free. When ever I am on my account on that computer it is faster than hers. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Alright, Figured I would post this in case someone asked. But since it has been so long I don't think anyone know how to fix this issue....

I've cleared all temp files, ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware no trace of malware / spyware asides from the cookies that were removed, Ran Norton 360 A/V scan nothing found, Ran Spy Bot S&D Nothing found. Ran disk defrag, disk cleanup, and did a disk scan still no errors/issues.

So any ideas? OR just let her use IE8?