Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS Correction?

• Please log in to reply

Sure

Sure

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have Windows XP on my PC, which I have been using for about 3 years now.Since a few days, I keep getting Blue Screen on and off. Earlier the message was:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to protect your computer.

If this is the first time you see this screen, restart your computer.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a Driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for update. Try checking Video Adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode, use F8.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0xBF81BAF2, 0x89132C44, 0x00000000)

***win32k.sys – Address BF81BAF2 base at BF800000, Datestamp 41107f7a

[I have about 4.72 GB free space on C Drive.

How to locate and disable the Driver mentioned in STOP message? Or check with the manufacturer?

How to check and set right the Video Adaptors? By the way, does the problem have anything to do with latest version of 'Skype' that I have installed on my PC just before the problem surfaced?

How do I disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing?]

I restarted in Safe Mode, restored the computer to an earlier date. The problem seemed to be over. I could start the computer a couple of times. But then again the Blue Screen started appearing. Now the message is as follows:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to protect your computer.

If this is the first time you see this screen, restart your computer.

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your vendor or visit www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode set-up. To do this, simply press F7 when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that F7 key was pressed – it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 0x00000007, 0xBAB400C0, 0m0100000C)

[How do I turn off the ACPI mode – what is the step-by step procedure?

When I do it, will it affect PC performance?]

After repeated efforts using Safe mode, BIOS change to Optimum values etc (I have not done anything yet for the 'ACPI compliance'), I have been able to start the PC. But I am not sure, Blue Screen may pop up again since a formal corrective action is lacking.

Can somebody help me please?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Stop 0x8e errors are memory related. Ignore the messages about the BIOS and ACPI compliance.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335 for details.

A memory testing program: This one'll do it:
http://www.geekstogo...86-t246994.html

Sure

Sure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks, I will do the Memory Test.

Sure

Sure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The problem was diagnosed as Hard Disk failure. I changed it. Now no more Blue screens; Rams are in fine shape.
Thanks!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The problem was diagnosed as Hard Disk failure

That would have been the next test.

Thanks for letting us know.