Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

• Please log in to reply

hms1018

hms1018

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
New Mobo ECS GF8200A Black series w/onboard graphics card, IDE controller and OnChip S-ATA controller
New PSU Cooler Master 500 watts
New CPU AMD Athlon™ x2 6000+
New cords and cables
SATA not detected in my BIOS, DVD drive is detected in the IDE, but my HDD in SATA is not detected and there is nothing wrong with my hdd. I have tried a couple of hdd and still nothing is detected. I am not able to download anything because I can't get past the black screen that says: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Can anyone help? :) :) :) :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Windows XP does not support SATA drives natively and needs a third-party SATA driver present before the drive can be detected. When you run XP Setup you should see a message at the foot of the screen saying something like "Press F6 to install third party driver". The SATA driver is supplied by the motherboard manufacturer if it's an on-board SATA controller (usually the SATA driver is part of the chipset driver package). If you didn't get a driver CD with the motherboard, check the ECS website support area for the GF8200A here:
http://www.ecs.com.t...P...=20&LanID=8

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I try this (F6) I get this screen: What do I do next? :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00497.JPG

Edited by hms1018, 23 June 2010 - 08:24 AM.

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried pressing S, but I have no FDD, and to press enter tells me can't finish setup. now what?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Try going into your BIOS under INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS and change the SATA MODE SELECT so it is not AHCI and save your setting and rebboot to see if your BIOS sees your drive after.

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried that and still nothing!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try both settings here to see if it will make a difference

In Standard CMOS Setup under Primary IDE Master

32Bit Data Transfer (Enabled)
Use this item to set the onboard SATA-IDE channel to be disabled, IDE, or RAID.

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Some of those things are missing in the CMOS. I think I got another bad board.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I took the information from the manual for your ECS GF8200A that i got from the ECS site

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I see that info in the manual, but some of those things are not showing uo in the BIOS

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If still under warranty maybe you should try to get it replace, if the SATA drive works on another mobo and not on yours and your missing things maybe your mobo is defective.

If not under warranty maybe you can try a BIOS update.

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am talking to them now about a replacement. After this I think I won't be buying another mobo from them again. This is the third one in 2 months.