Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log in after Ubuntu upgrade (worked fine with version 9)

• Please log in to reply

ArnoldoT

ArnoldoT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there,

Even though I thought I knew enough to have my system set-up and working, I now have to bite my pride and ask for help.

Ok, so here I go...

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 and, even though it came with Windows XP Media Center Edition I decided to give *nix a try. I decided for Ubuntu on a dual OS set.

Everything was fine and dandy until Ubuntu asked me permission to upgrade, I said yes and... well, here I am.

The problem is the following. After the Ubuntu upgrade failed (I was outside of the office and when I came back in during the installation I found a screen full of "..this is a BAD idea" errors on the installation screen. So, nothing worked after that, no OS would even boot and I kept getting a grub error. I decided I needed to install Ubuntu from a LiveCD and, it worked. Ubuntu is working great but... I can't access Windows XP. I don't have the factory Windows installation CD either so, I don't know what to do!

Yes, I am kinda loving Ubuntu more than XP but, I was not prepared to loose all the information and the software I have on XP! I would like to be able to access it when need to be.

When I boot my computer now, it does show Ubuntu's grub which, shows Ubuntu, Windows NT and Windows XP but, they just won't load. I get a black screen, I can hear the computer 'working' but it ain't much happening. Ubuntu is the only OS working as on now.

I don't really understand how to use Windows Bootloader insted of Ubuntus grub, specially because I can't access Windows to modify anything! (I do have access to it via Ubuntu but, I am not able to modify system files [they are not compatible/readable via Ubuntu])

Please help!

Advertisements