Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"This is not a Gateway computer"

• Please log in to reply

jdh1969

jdh1969

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good morning,

I'm new to the forum. I've searched everywhere for help on this to no avail.

Here it goes... My girfriend owns this Gateway GT5062E desktop that she's had since 2006, it's still pretty advanced by today's standards. I always use and update Microsoft Live One and just as frequently back up using a 320GB Clickfree automatic back up unit.

Over the last month, I have not been able to download Microsoft updates (Framework and Office 2003) Can't get any help from Gateway (like everyone else on the planet), so I have been in contact Microsoft because of the free help they offer when it comes to updates.

Their Step 1: Disable Local Installation Source (LIS)--- The LIS tool yielded no results

Their Step 2: Automatically Restore Security Settings to Default--- The Microsoft Fix It tool didn't work either

and their final Step 3: Reinstall Office (Please confirm that you have the Office CD)--- I'm confident would have worked, but every way I try to open and or explore the files on the CD, I get this pop up window: "This is not a Gateway computer"

??? It is too??? and I'm using the "Gateway" Office 2003 standard edition CD we were given with the computer???

Please help? The only thing I can come up with is a recognition file is missing that the Gateway Office CD is looking for, but that's beyond me?

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Have you tried copying the entire CD content to the hard drive and running Office Setup from there?